PDA

View Full Version : cured prawns

steelminer
11-05-2009, 07:01 PM
I would like to cure my own coon prawns this winter and use them for plunking early winter brats. I've cured eggs before but never prawns. Can you use store bought shrimp? or/Where can I get good quality un-cured raw coon prawns? I plan on using Pro Cure borax rocket red color. Any tips?

stephan009l
11-05-2009, 07:07 PM
Well yea you can use store bought shrimp, I've used shrimp I'd ussually eat, we left it out for a night n went fishing on the klaskline out by Astoria for steelhead, They seemed to like it just like that:D You can also use sand shrimp if you would prefer that, cure or no cure. But i'l warn you now, when we used regular shrimp for what we would eat, if u dont properly set the hook in them right, they will just fly right off n u wont even know it! Happened a few times to us:o, but i'm sure youll fine the right combo for you!:)

Mr. R & B
11-05-2009, 07:21 PM
Check out Eds post on sardine wraps. He also has some prawn tails there as well.

http://northwestfishing.info/showthread.php?t=1108

seamslayer
11-05-2009, 08:11 PM
I usually use regular prawns, 25-30 count peeled and cured in any store bought cure. If I remember corerectly the cure colors don't turn out the same on prawn meat as they do on eggs. The last batch that I put up was with a red cure and the baits came out purple; not a bad thing, but a bit suprising.

GW
11-05-2009, 09:15 PM
I use whole arctic prawns. I bought bait quality ones from Fitts in Salem. Four pounds for about $24 and it turned out to be WAY more than I needed. My favorite way to cure them was a heavy coating of egg cure, toss them in a jar and fill it with bottled water. Let them sit in the fridge for about three days or until they have the color you're after. Dump everything out and repack them in the jars with rock salt. They'll keep in the fridge for months like this.

steelminer
11-05-2009, 09:43 PM
Thanks for the good tips. The rock salt must help firm them up? My main gripe with the store bought prawns is that they are soggy with brine and fall apart after a few casts.

RollinontheRvr
11-05-2009, 09:51 PM
Do you guys really find prawns to be that productive? I have limited time with them, probably because the prawns I have used fall apart on the cast. More likely than not it is because I cured them myself. I have never tried the rock salt setup.

GW
11-05-2009, 09:56 PM
Thanks for the good tips. The rock salt must help firm them up? My main gripe with the store bought prawns is that they are soggy with brine and fall apart after a few casts.

That's exactly what it does. It pulls the moisture out of them and firms them up.

Prawns are pretty much the only bait I use for Summer Steelhead and we also troll them for Springers at Drano. The nice thing about curing your own is that a pound of prawns would probably get me through spring and summer fishing. We backtroll them for summers (100% hatchery run) and I'll go through 3-4 prawns a day generally. I've always got bait in the fridge that way and I dont have to be running to the store to get a dozen pack only to throw 8 of them away at the end of the day.

seamslayer
11-05-2009, 11:40 PM
Never had an issue with prawns being soggy. In fact I usually have to rip off the old bait to change to a fresh piece. I usually cure the prawns for a few hours, drain, bag into trip sized amounts, and back into the freezer. I regard prawn meat as one of the better steelehad baits around. There cheap, loaded with scent, very durable, and you don't need to catch hens to get them.

RollinontheRvr
11-07-2009, 09:56 AM
What about using Boraxo Fire? Packing the prawns in the Braxo Fire seems like it would work like rock salt. I would think it would cure them at the same that it toughens them up, plus steelhead like things cured in borax.

steelminer
11-07-2009, 01:58 PM
As I mentioned before I like to use rocket red pro cure borax for my eggs. I have not used it yet for prawns. What has worked well for my eggs is to soak them in a brine/cure liquid for a few hours, pat dry them with paper towels then roll em in the borax and pack em in tupperware with a bit more borax sprinkled between layers and on top. This should work for prawns too.......right?

stephan009l
11-07-2009, 04:26 PM
As I mentioned before I like to use rocket red pro cure borax for my eggs. I have not used it yet for prawns. What has worked well for my eggs is to soak them in a brine/cure liquid for a few hours, pat dry them with paper towels then roll em in the borax and pack em in tupperware with a bit more borax sprinkled between layers and on top. This should work for prawns too.......right?

Sounds good, go ahead n make a batch n try it out!

XtremeNW
11-11-2009, 09:03 AM
I would like to cure my own coon prawns this winter and use them for plunking early winter brats. I've cured eggs before but never prawns. Can you use store bought shrimp? or/Where can I get good quality un-cured raw coon prawns? I plan on using Pro Cure borax rocket red color. Any tips?

I sell good quality uncured coon prawns, Your talking about the smaller prawns not the big arctic prawns? I also sell the cure for prawns if you need any. Let me know what you need and I can see get it for you. You also can check out my web site for Bait and Bait cures.
Eric