PDA

View Full Version : Hook size

salmoncatcher
07-25-2009, 11:56 AM
I am wondering the best type of hook for each fish, Ie..Chinook, steelhead and coho. :confused:

seamslayer
07-25-2009, 12:10 PM
Really, the hook size you choose is dictated by river conditions, and the presentations that you are using. What types of presentations did you have in mind? And what conditions? For instance, drift fishing for summer steelhead in a gin-clear riffle.

GW
07-25-2009, 12:27 PM
There are a ton of variables. In the river, on the most basic of premises I like 1's for steelhead and 5/0's for Chinook.

If I can stick that size hook in the mouth of those fish, I feel like it's not going to come unbuttoned.

Kodiak
07-25-2009, 03:13 PM
I like size 1 or 2 owner needle points for steelies, occasionally dropping down to #4's if things are really low and clear, and the same for drifting for coho. Plunking for chinook or steelies I run 2/0 to 3/0 owners super needles with a stinger hook, trolling herring in the tide water my hook choice is based on the bait size and the roll I want. for whole herring rigs Green label/blue label I run a #2 or #1 treble. For cut plugs I run the following:

herring size front hook trailing hook

Green Label 3/0 4/0
blue label 4/0 5/0
purple label 5/0 7/0
Black label 6/0 7/0

Bobber and eggs 3/0 (springers) 5/0 (fall fish)

salmoncatcher
07-25-2009, 05:16 PM
Really, the hook size you choose is dictated by river conditions, and the presentations that you are using. What types of presentations did you have in mind? And what conditions? For instance, drift fishing for summer steelhead in a gin-clear riffle.

I am either drifting eggs, or bouncing corkies for the most part. With either I am hoping to bag either salmon or steelhead. Maybe that is why I am getting neither at this point. I have been using a #1 lately.

spactrukn
07-25-2009, 09:44 PM
When drifting corkies for steelhead and coho I use a #4 octopus hook and the smallest corkie with about 1/2 inch of yarn. With the yarn I don't use the full diamiter, I peel off about half of it. and mostly mix the colors. I'm always thinking small. As far as colors go, I mostly use peaches and pinks..

Ed Fast
07-25-2009, 09:53 PM
summer conditions I use a 2 in bigger flows with bigger baits and a 4 if I even think that the water is getting low or clear. ...same with low flows in winter. A 1 is perfect for larger shrimp baits and in glacial or higher winter flows when you are going for a larger spin n glow or corkie and larger bait, eggs or shrimp. ...same with pink worms, too. Also, use a double hook rig when fishing whole sand shrimp, unless they are small. There is no right answer, by the way, lots of guys use different sizes than me and do just fine!

Ed

Rock,Rock,FISH
07-27-2009, 09:39 AM
Try this method, it's worked for me. I match my hook to the size drift bobber I'm using. Always make sure your corkie (or whatever your using) fits inside the bend of your hook. Pick up a copy of "Steelhead & Salmon Drift Fishing Secrets" by Tim Kusherets and it will give you more detail. Whatever you do, don't give up. At least once a year I will go on a crazy streak of no fish. Last winter I went ~13 trips in a row without hooking up. Got back to basics and fish on! Good luck, RRF

dizzy fisherman
07-27-2009, 11:14 AM
I rarely drop below a #1 for steelhead/coho and mostly fish 1/0 and 2/0 depending on where, when, and how I'm fishing. For chinook it also depends on where, when, and how, but I won't fish any smaller than a 3/0 and never larger than 5/0.

salmoncatcher
07-27-2009, 05:54 PM
That is alot of good info. Thanks guys.