Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: -Coho and Jigs-

1. Default -Coho and Jigs-

For those of you who tie up your own jigs you should give them a shot on the Sandy, Clackamas or Eagle Creek. I personally have not targeted coho as much as many of you here, but the times I have been out they have produced. Last fall when out fishing for early winter steelhead I landed 6 coho with micro jigs while my brother in law landed 3 using roe the whole time. This has been the case everytime out for coho and I don't think its a coincidence. I like using smaller jigs #6 or #8 in purple or purple-black combo's. Osmosis had luck with black-red but I have not tried that color combo personally. Here is a pic of a nice coho with a purple color jig.

And one cool action shot on Eagle Creek.

Just something to add to your arsenal for these finicky fish!

Nice shot! That's a really good picture of the action and probably good memories.

3. Default

Good idea Chad, good place to fish too : )
    Chinook SSSF ><,> Community Director <,><

Golden Stone Web Design

Fighting over the fish will only serve to divert us from our common goal : )

"If im going to sit in a bath tub in the winter, im going to make sure it's the one inside my house : )"

"The more I see the less I know" Anthony Bourdain

4. Default

Such a beautiful creek, I bet its a blast for winter steelhead!

you guys ever try casting them out and then like bouncing them off the bottom like a few inches and twitching them off the bottom? i heard this actually produces really well

you can drift 'em, bounce them, twitch them, run 'em under a float - there are alot of ways you can catch fish using a jig.
    I've had some good days this year running jigs.

Quote Originally Posted by coho crazy View Post
    you guys ever try casting them out and then twitching them off the bottom? i heard this actually produces really well
    Nope; doesn't work, not a bit. Don't even waste your time with this outlandish nonsense. Chinook and Coho hate marabou, especially large guady pairings of marabou, rabbit strip, ostrich herl, and flash.

Fly fisherman fret not, casting and retreving flash fly's, in a sense jigging them, is a no frills, and easy way to put fish on the bank.

This is a very exciting way of fishing, filled with suspense, as you sit wating for the subtle "pluck" or smashing grab of a hot fish. Wgen the salmon are stacked up this is a great tactic for grab and go evening fishing as the necessary accoutrement is very minimal.

[QUOTE=seamslayer;8742]Nope; doesn't work, not a bit. Don't even waste your time with this outlandish nonsense. Chinook and Coho hate marabou, especially large guady pairings of marabou, rabbit strip, ostrich herl, and flash.

wait, are you being sarcastic? iv just never tried fishing jigs for nooks or ho's before

The whole thing was a joke, except for the effectiveness of twitching jigs, and retreving flies for coho; it's a very productive technique. I am not one to criticize, only humor and dole out the bit of knowldge or ideas that I have to share.

10. Default

Hey! I've made some of those bullet nose jigs. You can squeeze them with pliers to flatten the sides and put eyes on them, too. Those look real nice, by the way.

ed