Its been a few weeks now to be honest but there was a day back in early November when the leaves were still on the trees and falling heavy into the swell of river just after the first coastal rains.



With the water up and flowing well the last of the silver run and the first of the fall chinooks could be seen making their way up the river. I managed to intercept a few of these toads with my Lamiglas 10 weight G1000 and a 2 color yarny combo. These are the ones I sit around dreaming about all year, one of those time when I can get to them with the fly rod. I do not think I have to tell you what these fish fight like on a fly rod....











Many of our fish got away on their own before being released and one of them even got my new 10 weight Cabeleas fly line and another one the day before got Mikes entire fly rod outfit as he slipped and fell chasing one down the river. Mike got the screws into a few nice fish this day also but during times of rain when we could not get the camera out. I guess I lucked out that day with a few nice fish released and a few great photos to remember them bye.



We fished on the 8th, during the drop shown. Fish were on the move as predicted. I have fished that exact rod for over 10 years now, landing hundreds of kings and never a break!

.........................
Three weeks later we went back to look for Mikes rod while the water was very low and we ran across the fly line I lost on the 8th!



That hurts, those fish are mean! Its a double taper so it might be OK.....The line was all twisted up and it had mono twisted into it as well. At first glance Mike and I thought well thats a done deal having noted the 3 cut ends. It was for sure I would have to untwist the entire line to see if it's fate was sealed.

It took me a little over 2 hours to untwist the line to find out that only about 6 feet off the backing end had been seperated from the line so if I could just straighten the line again I could fish it. Mike had suggested soaking it in hot water so I took and old empty maxima line spool and "TIGHTLY" loaded the spool with the fly line and closed it with a rubber band. Then I soaked it in hot water in a small mixing tub, reloading the hot water from "ONLY" the tap 3 times to keep it soft long enough to de-memorize.



I then ran the fly line through a well coated Mucilin [fly line floatant & cleaner] pad several times to clean and re-grease the line back into smooth casting shape. Then I inspected the backing and removed about 10 feet to remove any additional stress from the breakage. Line shows no visable cracks or nicks so time for re-load.....



Loaded to the reel and ready to fish! Total time, about 4 hours.