Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: Winter Steelhead Fishing, How We Roll! Whats in Your Pack?

I've run the gamut of ways to carry tackle while fishing from the bank and my favorite thus far is a waist pack followed by a sling style pack. I will occasionally take a back pack if I know I will be hiking a great distance in a day. What I carry depends completely on where I'm going to be fishing and the river conditions.

I'm a big fan of the waist pack, I have three of them and they work great.... Only problem is I can't do this with them:

So I only use them when I'm somewhat close to the vehicle. The backpack I carry has very few Items:

A few colors of SS yarn
    SS soft beads (steelhead orange)
    A few Thill balsa floats (black and orange)
    scissors
    leadmaster pliers
    container of split shot
    5 spinners
    a couple spoons
    some snap swivels
    Spool of 10#Max UG
    Spool of 20# Max UG
    a little chunk of 3/16" solid core pencil lead
    a value pack of Gamikatsu #2 Octopus (black)
    -Ken

Two fish swim into a concrete wall... One looks to the other and says " Dam!"

Blog Entries

Finally got around to taking some pics, figured tonight as I prepped for my first steelhead trip of the season would be as good a time as any.

This is my Cabelas Advanced Angler waist pack, now going on its 3rd season. It retails for about 50 bucks, but I got it on sale when I worked there (and it goes on sale more than a few times a year). The sling makes it great for slinging over the shoulder, and it also includes a waist clip if you so desire one. I don't usually like clipping myself in, because I generally will set the pack down when I plan to try a spot for more than a few minutes. The straps for the waist clip have their own pockets to be stored in while they are not in use, which helps keep them out of the way. They also make a backpack version in this same series that is excellent.

This has been a great pack for me. It's got more room and organizational pockets then I could ever ask for out of a waist pack. Starting out as an empty pack, it's extremely light, and only gets as heavy as what I want to carry for the day. On small streams I can really narrow down my choices to just a few things. On larger streams where I might plan to try more than one technique like throwing spinners, jigs, or drift fishing, it has plenty of room to accommodate that too.

(Don't mind my 17 year old cat that loves to help me tie up leaders)

This is a bit of all the gear I plan on running this winter, not what I'll have on every given day. Even with all the gear pictured in my pack, its fairly light. The main components that weigh down the pack are lead, so I try to only carry one coil or so a day.

My generic "list" is as follows:

2-3 leader rolls, depending on if i'm fishing beads / yarn / eggs / sidedrifting
    12# Seaguar STS Yellow Label flourocarbon
    15-20# mono top-shot material
    Scissors
    2 small packs of BB and slightly larger split shot
    Coil of lead
    1/4-3/8oz inline weights
    Lead-punch pliers (I find being able to adjust my weight to the water I'm fishing is key, and lead still does it best for me)
    Extra bobbers (ranging from 1/8 to 1/2 oz depending on the water i'm fishing)
    Small zip lock of pre-cut pieces of yarn that I can slide on the egg loop in a pinch
    Small individualized box of corkies
    Individualized box of beads / couple packs of soft beads
    Small box of spinners / spoons
    Small box of 1/8-1/4oz jigs
    Kombo Utility tool (knife / fish bonker in one, which sits in a pocket on the underside of my pack)
    Harbor Freight special oversized carabiner for carrying fish (best $5 i've ever spent), which I can clip into my pack for long hauls
    Fishing licenses & 2 pens, in a zip lock to keep them dry and in one place

My bead box also has bobber stops, swivels, bumper beads, etc. Having them all individualized really helps keep it organized.

Even though I have all my leaders rigged with a bead ready to go - since my beads aren't pegged directly to my leaders, I can always switch out to a different bead in my pack if desired when I pull a fresh leader off the roll. Thus why I carry a box with a variety of different beads both in color and size.

Seems like a lot, but all of this stuff has a specific place in my pack that I can get to quickly when needed. Tomorrow, I'll leave the spinners and corkies at home. Simply plan to fish beads all day.
    Last edited by Twise95; 11-29-2016 at 10:40 PM.
    Teddy Wise - Senior Moderator, NWFI

http://therealwiseone.blogspot.com/

OSU Class of 2013 - Go Beavs
    B.S. in Fisheries and Wildlife Sciences
    Fisheries Technician with WDFW

"The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope." ~ John Buchan

Death is Certain - Fishing is Not