Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Winter Steelhead Fishing, How We Roll! Whats in Your Pack?

1. Default

most of my time is spent on the coast rivers during the early part of the winter in my drifter. In a driftboat it's a lot easier to carry gear so the whole tackle box goes in plus 4-5 rods.( drift, bobber-jig,bobber-bait, plug, spinner rods ). Most of the time I give each one atleast a little time in the water at most of the holes I come to.

If I'm banking the rivers I carry 2-3 rods ( bobber rod, drift, and spinner ) but leave the tackle box at home. instead I use a vest with as little gear as i can get away with ( bobbers, jigs, Slinkies, swivels, spinners, some pretied leaders, and yarn and corkies ). Sometimes switching it up as proved deadly for me in the past so I like to be prepared.

Good luck to everyone and see you on the river.

Default Lite and diverse

Matt,
    I have to agree with you; I love chest packs. Just like Mike had done, I went throught the progression of tackle box, tackle box and vest, just the vest, and also a day pack. As time passed I found I was carrying to much, and even when I had my vest the conventional designs were a hassle to acess and when full I find them to be constrictive when I cast. Enter, the chest pack, which I recieved as a gift. It is a fishpond, and has the chest pack with a day pack. They are detachable so you have the option of litening up on the river. Over the years I have found that float fishing is one of the most productie methods, and this is primarily what I fish. Although, I do carry a good bit of hardware, followed by some drift rigs, and even a plug or two. Two rods acompany me at all times. One float rod and one other, which can toss metal, drift fish and even throw plugs. I like to pack only the gear that is easily rigged. In times of petrol-perril I wan't to devote my time to fishing and observing, not tying. I am willing to sacrifice gear that is cumbersome, if it means I will be fishing more. Anything that is not in the fromt chest pack is packed in plastic boxes according to the techniqe. Drift gear has a box, as does hardware, etc. Check these out

They hold eight drift rigs very well and come with their own box. I load them with different types of rigs (low water, straight yarn, etc.) and grab the ones I will be needing. Much preferd over the pip's box.
    In adition to tackle, I use a headlamp to get first water. It is amazing how much effort is put into finding secluded creeks and how quickly my secret spots get found. I find that I have to get there at dark to hold my spot, then wait 'til dawn to actually fish. My camera goes with me everywere. I don't like being questioned about the fish I catch, and a picture in hand is much more believable.
    For extended trips or serious drive times I have a large bag. Then and only then do I bring almost all of my tackle. Once there I split up the mound into usable gear, and hit the water just as lite as befor.
    I will have pics later, as I am having issues with the camera.
    Oh, I think some Strike Rite jigs would round out your tackle nicley. Give me some info if you would like to try some. Feed back is greatly appreciated.

I have used an old vest for years, but now (thanks to Ampersat), I hope to have a new belt/pack to use instead (xmas gift from the wife if I dropped enough hints). I used to only bring one rod, but now I usually always have 2. One strictly for pitching spinners, which used to be nothing but blue fox that has since changed to R & B products! The other I use for bobber and eggs or jigs, which I just started using. I will definitely be giving the old pink worm a chance this year as well. Used to drift fish alot with corkie and bait, but just got to be too cumbersome losing gear or changing out bait every 5 minutes.

I can only hope to sniff a portion of Chinook's 100 fish count, but at this point in my life, the thrill is definitely in getting into the graet outdoors and trying to chase down one of nature's most beautiful and elusive creatures!
    "Wanna beer?" "It's 7:00 in the morning." "Scotch?" (From Mr. Mom)

"Just goes to show you this world is full of bast****, that number increasing rapidly the further one gets away from Missoula, Montana." (A River Runs Through It)

I hate to admit it but I still wear a vest. It is not really loaded all that bad though. I mostly fish the North Coast rivers/creeks and only pack one rod. However I will carry several more in my truck just in case! I mostly drift fish, but after being a member of this and iFish I have tried many other methods with varying success levels. I am not afraid to experiment however. One of the largest steelhead I caught last year was on a Pink Worm that the big feller just could not resist. (Fishing Vest now has pink worms)

I do carry just enough Pencil Lead for the day and not the whole roll.....I still use slinkies as well. On one river I use the slinkies, and on the other pencil lead or split shot.

I need another vest pocket for my eggs and I mostly drift fish with bait, and another pocket for (TP) Just in case.... I have too many shirts missing their front pockets! I am thinking of creating a new shirt with velcro pockets so they can be replaced. You should be able to find a 6 pack of them soon in your nearest store.

Corkies are my mainstay lure and always are on my rigs that I tie myself. I usually tie up several dozen on a piece of packing styro from shipping boxes.

Oh yeah I always bring my friend Rick, except he cant quite fit into my vest...

I am looking forward to a great season and I will share my pix with you all.

Last Year...Rick on the chase

And the reward....

If we would all concentrate on the important things in life, there would be a shortage of fishing poles!

Klambake Never heard that one ?

If they remove the dams it surely will be a Klambake.

Yes Klamath..lol..Removing the Klamath dams will certainly change the face of that river forever, all over again!...

Ray looking forward to your winter photos : )
    C. Winterwolf ><,> NWFI Community Director <,><

Golden Stone Web Design

One t0 MaNy cArp's 0n tHe braIn "2017"~<)))><

One t0 MaNy cArp's 0n tHe braIn "2016"~<)))><

Fighting over the fish will only serve to divert us from our common goal ><,>

"The more I see the less I know" Anthony Bourdain

7. Default

How I roll is based on a couple of things:
    1. all of my fishing gear should be accessible using one hand to retrieve, replace and work the zippers
    2. you can futz with gear in the nice warm, well lit and dry area of your home but you can only fish when you're at the river

That said, I just moved into this belt after having lived in my last one for over five years. I'm still working the kinks out and dialing it in but here's what I've got.

All of my yarn is precut and sorted, there are swivels in abundance and a small selection of hooks and etc.

Corkies in the other side with a small bit of etc. A spool of lead fits nicely into a smaller zippered pocket on the front.

The other pocket is for jigs. The small pocket in front is good for a bottle of scent or two.

The center pocket is good for a lot of etc. That green thing with the colored up clear plastic pockets is my leader wallet. It keeps 12 leaders very organized, accessible and flat. I'll be adding a second one of these to my setup very soon.

There's a water bottle pocket on one side that currently holds my pliers and knife.

It goes on over my waders and wading belt. The wading belt should be cinched tight but comfortable. The gear belt can be loosened or tightened as needed. When fishing, I'll loosen it up a bit so I can spin it around; I can get into every pocket and when I'm done I can spin it around out of the way. This also serves the additional duty of putting the weight on your hips where it belongs as any backpacker will tell you. My ex-wife bought me a vest and I used it because she got it for me but I hated it as all the weight was transferred to my back and shoulders. A few pounds of gear gets to weigh a lot over the course of a day of fishing.

As for rods, I always carry two. I met a guy coming out of Cedar this fall frantically asking where the closest place he could buy a rod would be after busting his own (probably reefing on a snag). Always carry backup. I'd hate to have to call a trip because of a malfunction, especially if the fishing was good.
    Last edited by ampersat; 12-03-2008 at 10:20 PM.

Great selection there Amp, lots of fish killers...thats a cool way to have the yarn for mixing and matching colors!

....Had any fish take that green worm yet?...I wonder how that one would work on say --- spring chinook. I released an old nook last week on a pink worm under a float but I admit I laced it with sardine oil : P
    C. Winterwolf ><,> NWFI Community Director <,><

Golden Stone Web Design

One t0 MaNy cArp's 0n tHe braIn "2017"~<)))><

One t0 MaNy cArp's 0n tHe braIn "2016"~<)))><

Fighting over the fish will only serve to divert us from our common goal ><,>

"The more I see the less I know" Anthony Bourdain

9. Default

No takers on the chartreuse worms but you've got to fish them before they'll get bit.

Default Forgot a couple things

A couple things I forgot to mention. A sharpening stone for my hooks, I don't like files because they rust. A small red/white clip on bobber for when I need to change my presentation. A pen and my Oregon, Washington and Alaska lisence's and tags. And lastly a seamstress tape for a quick measurement on big fish.