Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NEED HELP! Alaska guides!

Lightbulb NEED HELP! Alaska guides!

Okk, so i'm 17 in my junior year in highschool and i'll b moving back to oregon, but heres the thing. My friends and are are planning on going to Alaska for 3 weeks or so after graduating with money we've saved and earned, and I would definately appreciate 1 of the guides on here to help us out with information since this is a state i'v never been to! Were looking to go fishing pretty much the entire trip for salmon(chinook and coho preferably) and possibly Halibut but we really dont know where to start or how much money 2 try and save for each of us?? And I doubt its possible but maybe ask for a discount?? Were going to try to fish literally 2 weeks in a row haha, so we need advice on a place 2 stay, a guide, time of year which is best to come, prices for alot of things so we can start figure'n things out. Any info would be very appreciative!! Thanks guys!!

My obsession is my passion, my passion is my life!

2. Default

WOW! Sounds like a great trip!

To start with, you cannot experience all that Alaska has to offer in 2 weeks! There are a few things in you message that will help me to make some suggestions:

It sounds like the primary focus is salmon (chinnok and Coho). Unfortunately, at any particular area you will not likely find peak kings and silvers at the same time. Now, if sockeye are an option, then that can be accomodated.

So, the kings run on the Kenai and Kasilof Rivers (for example) June and July. The best time in my opinion is the last two weeks of July, however that is when everyone else believes that as well, so finding pristine fishing will not happen. The Kasilof is probably better to get away from the crowds, but it is a drift only river and a bit more difficult to fish in the big water of July. You will most likely want to hire a guide for the Kenai in July. Expect to pay between $225 and $275 per person, per day (depending on the service and the length of the trip). So, if you feel lucky, book a 1/2 day and save some money. The thing about the Kenai is that you might catch a fish in the first 5 minutes or might not have a take-down all day... you just never know. A full day trip opens up more of the river and give the options to move in search of fish... on a 1/2 day, you (or your guide) picks the spot and sticks it out unless the report is SO compelling that you are willing to give up 30 minutes or so to run.

Now the sockeye on the other hand, are bank fished and peak around the 15th of July (again the last 2 weeks). These are the best fighting salmon out there. It is really a good thing that they don't get to 30 pounds becasue I don't think that we could land one with the tackle we fish with! The limit is typically 3 per person per day (may go up to 6 if the escapement is exceeded). The Russian River is another option for sockeye. Expect crowds and bears but lots of fish!

While it is possible to catch coho on the Kenai during the last two weeks of July, we really don't see the peak until around the middle of August and again middle of September. However if you are willing to drive a bit, the coho fishing in Seward is awesome (again, looking at a charter). You can catch fish from the bank but typically not until August.

The halibut is available out of Ninilchik or Homer (again on the Kenai Peninula) and again you will need a charter. The fishing is good all summer long, the fish usually get bigger as you get into July!

Now, there are plenty of other options around the state to accomplish your goals. Kodiak would be a great option (again late June and into July) however the king fishing on Kodiak has been very poor for the last few years. Likewise Bristol Bay area (Nushagak, Naknek, King Salmon, etc) has some great fishing but expect to invest a fair bit of coin to get there.

Finally, this year, 2010, is a pink year, so beginning the middle of August there will be about 5.5 million pink salmon returning to the Kenai River, not counting a plethora of other streams around southcentral Alaska! So, if it is fun that you seek, it is difficult to have backle in the water without bending the rod! (See Matt's article on 5.5 Million Pinks!).

So, all of that being said, start making your reservations NOW!!! The quality guides normally are booked during peak times by the end of January.

So, if you want to save some money, book a day of kings and halibut and plan on fishing the banks for the rest of the time. With that in mind, if you figure $500-$750 for 2-3 days of charters, $500-600 airfare, the price of a rental car, food and gas you should be able to do this less than $2500 if you are careful. Maybe plan on camping instead of hotel/cabin?

That should be a good starting point???? Cheers

Aw man thanks a bunch! This is really what I needed, but its a bummer bout the coho n kings, luckily though were all putting a year worth of cash into the trip so we should be able to afford most of it, and you mentioned sockeye? Is it possible to get 1 guide 1 take us out for sockeye and kings in the same day or something?? Alrighty so were looking to july most likely then, sounds good 2 us but you mentioned camping? Do you have any place that could b used for camping instead of a lodge, and if so could u fish the bank like you said if the river is nearby?? And maybe its possible to have you as the guide haha, that is if your willing to take a few of us out?? and then once were up there we can have some 1 we know help us out with what 2 do n such, Anyways thank you very much scud!

If your planning for this summer get your car rented now. The prices are going up fast, $500 in two weeks (for my trip). I did a lot of searching tonight and "National" was the lowest. Plane flight from P-town to Anc is $700 unless you take the red eye.

Camping is the way to go when in Alaska. Money for 1-2 days lodging would pay for all your gear for camping. You can pick up everything right in Anc and head out of town. Be sure to stop off in Hope for at least a little while.
    There are many camp sites right on the rivers where it's a mere 20 steps from bed to fish on.

I missed my trip last year, but I'm makin it this year. See ya soon Ed.

5. Default

Well, the good news is Mike is spot on about the facts. The bad is that I retired as a guide after last year due to the depressed economy. Nevertheless, keep in touch, it is possible that we could put something together. I am working a new job in Prudhoe Bay (Arctic Ocean) where I am away for 2 weeks at a time. So, if it works out, I may be able to show you some things.

As far as the guides go, the primary focus will be kings, if you get limited out soon, then many (the good ones) will stop at a gravel bar and let you flip for sockeye. Otherwise, get it done for kings, and then spend the afternoon/evening chasing sockeye near your camp site.

Cheers

Well were not going until next year mike haha, but I see what will happen and we'll haft to get things in advance! What might there be in Hope? Ahh glad 2 hear theres a lot of camping sites! Can you name any you've been to?? Friendly recommendation haha

And scud, even though your retired I would love the chance 2 get to know you and have you teach us some new things! And same for you, do you recommend any camp sites?

Quote Originally Posted by stephan009l View Post
    Well were not going until next year mike haha, but I see what will happen and we'll haft to get things in advance! What might there be in Hope? Ahh glad 2 hear theres a lot of camping sites! Can you name any you've been to?? Friendly recommendation haha
    Hope is a little town with a fish population problem, at least on evan years. When you decide what area of Alaska you want fish, get the atlas out and research every river in the area. Most rivers will have some camping on them, usually the upper sections. Times of peak of the runs spots are limited, but otherwise plenty of places.

Alrighty will do mike, Thanks a bunch! I think I know where 2 start now

10. Default

Here is another good read: The Highway Angler by Gunnar Pedersen. This will explore all road accessible streams, tell you the seasons, suggst tackle and so on. It is a great resource.