Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to rig coon shrimp??

Quote Originally Posted by Osmosis View Post
    I like both the red and pink. Red works best for me this time of year. the orange is best in muddy water, but he rarely does 'em up. when the water gets a little warmer he does purple that turn out real nice.
    You'll have to get a couple friends together and order about 10lbs for him to do a batch of orange if you want to try it out. They are like orange peel orange.
    Not sure if you meant actually orange or just the reds so I may have answered this wrong for ya.
    Okay cool, I will try the red ones out I'm not set on orange ones or anything I just knew there was another color and I figured I'd try them out, probably just to entertain myself more than anything When you drift fish them do you add a corkie or just the straight shrimp??

I know what you mean, it's always fun to play with new gear!
    I do both, when I sidedrift them it's almost always with a corkie and when I'm drifting from the bank usually I don't use one.
    for the same volume compared to say eggs, the coon shrimp are lighter so the amount of drag in the water effects them more. they don't usually dredge the bottom if you don't use a corkie, unless you're using a big ol hook. I use a #2 with them for drifting and a 1/0 for diver and bait.
    Use a corkie if you want extra color or contrast, or leave it off if you want. both work for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Osmosis View Post
    I like both the red and pink. Red works best for me this time of year. the orange is best in muddy water, but he rarely does 'em up. when the water gets a little warmer he does purple that turn out real nice.
    You'll have to get a couple friends together and order about 10lbs for him to do a batch of orange if you want to try it out. They are like orange peel orange.
    Not sure if you meant actually orange or just the reds so I may have answered this wrong for ya.
    who do you get your shrimp from? i always use purple prawns under a float for summers.
    Last edited by cody carlson; 03-25-2010 at 01:00 AM. Reason: accidentaly said prawns oops

I buy them two ways. cured from B.C. Angling post, or sometimes I buy a case of raw and cure them myself. depends if I'm being lazy or not. B.C's coons work great.