Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prawn rigging - One of the many ways.

Default Prawn rigging - One of the many ways.

This is how I often rig my prawns while trolling in the Willamette. It's very easy and can be done pretty quick. Always start out with the highest quality prawns possible. Don't settle with bad or even ok bait!

I tie my hooks about 3 fingers width apart on about 4' of #20-#25 leader. in these photo's I used 4/0's, in reality I use 2/0's.
    Later I will show how to rig them several other ways with different lengths between the hooks, but this is the method I use pretty often.

Start by taking the lower hook, and sticking it into the side of the carapace heading towards the eyes and then come out before you get there. Be very careful to not tear the carapace! You can put a bait band (dental rubberband) over the carapace and around the shank of the hook if you want to. With high quality prawns that isn't essential.

It should look similar to this:

Now take the upper hook and go in through the point at the round of their tail (while curled) heading towards the head. Again be very careful to not damage the prawn. You should come out with the hook point just before reaching the carapace.

Should look like this:

Next step is to place the bait loop around the tail of the prawn. I like to make sure I don't rip off the legs but I don't think it really matters. If you want more of a roll than you're getting, make a "figure 8" with the bait loop next to the prawn. put the lower loop around the tail a little bit further down the tail. this will pull it to the side a little bit and creates a nice spin.

Here it's pictured the regular way I do it:

Now comes the choice of hardware or no hardware. You can run the prawn just by itself and catch lots of fish, but some days a little more vibration and flash helps out. to do that just slide some beads down your leader followed by a blade.
    For different blades you'll need more or less beads, for this blade -a #3 Cascade- I like 5x 6mm beads, and follow those with 2x 4mm beads and then a bearing bead. Then I use the plastic quick-change style clevis. The metal ones can nick the leader. The blade in the picture is called the Willamette special and is a great high contrast blade for the off colored Willamette water.

Finished rig ready to go swimming:

The bead chain in my hand is on the other end of the leader from the hooks, and is an important part. I like bead chains, some guys like bearing swivels. Use what you're comfortable and confident with. After the bead chain I run another 3' of #35-40 mono to a second bead chain. Above the upper bead chain onto the mainline I put 3x 8mm beads and then a 1/0 barrel swivel. That barrel swivel is the slider that I attach my dropper line and lead to.

Let me know if you want me to clarify anything or if you have any questions.
    "Chuck Norris talks in the fourth person"

When you fish prawns does it affect your trolling speed or on some days do you fish them right beside herring on other rods? I've always been a blue label herring guy, but last year I started fishing prawns out of neccesity. We were fishing at Drano and the troll in the toilet bowl is so slow you've got two options. Either fish a prawn or step down to about a red label herring. I didnt think my prawn spin was that great, but in reality I didnt have a clue what it looked like compared to the big boys.

Dragging a prawn rigged like that at a dead idle, how fast should it spin relative to that cascade blade?

Thanks for the post Alan, way good info : )

He gets a great roll this way, I have seen it...
    C. Winterwolf ><,> NWFI Community Director <,><

Golden Stone Web Design

One t0 MaNy cArp's 0n tHe braIn "2017"~<º)))><

One t0 MaNy cArp's 0n tHe braIn "2016"~<º)))><

Fighting over the fish will only serve to divert us from our common goal ><,>

"The more I see the less I know" Anthony Bourdain

You could run 'em next to a red or green herring if you wanted, I personally troll 'em super slow so it's one or the other.
    I try to get the cascade to rotate in the ballpark of 2rps (revs per second), I want the prawn to spin once every 3-5 revolutions of the cascade. In faster water you gotta switch to a bear valley, or even a colorado/clamshell. And that changes hook placement a little bit as well as the rate between blade rev's to prawn spin cause I don't like the prawn to haul butt in a spiral.
    When you get used to hooking 'em up you can get a beautiful paused roll, and that's what I like outta them.

Thanks Matt! I love fishin prawns almost as much as eggs

As I have time I will post several more effective ways to rig them both curled and straight including how I hook them for behind a diver.

I need to get me a lil boat!

I think I know the answer but do you prefer to run prawns over herring Alan? And do you ever or could you run them while on the hook? And finally do you only cure your own or will you buy them as well?

Personally I do prefer to run prawns. I like like them alot as a bait. However There's a time and place and conditions for each of them.
    In the main columbia troll fisheries like 205 down, and the B-10 area I'll run plug cut green label or spinners more often than prawns. In some spots out there a prawn behind a diver kills though.

Yes! You can definitely run a prawn while on anchor, I do it sometimes when I'm anchoring up.
    It is a great bait with many different applications. You can run the rig shown above on anchor as long as you have enough current to not let it settle to the bottom, or you can substitute the blade with a large spin glo of your favorite color scheme. Or you can even run a bare prawn. You can back bounce them if you want to be active. You can wrap your quickfish with a butterflied Prawn tail. There are tons of effective methods while on anchor.
    I personally prefer to troll or backtroll since I put the bait in more fish's faces (atleast quicker) that way.

I cure alot of my own, but when I buy them I only get them from B.C Angling post in gladstone. They have the best prawns I've come across that you can buy. Using a wet brine method Xtreme Northwest's Universal cure makes a dang nice prawn. It's important when curing your own to get the most recent catch dates possible on the Prawns.

I agree Tom! It would be cool to run into you more often out there

Blog Entries

Do you ever use one of those wire things behined a spinner to thead your prawn on so its straight, then but the hooks in it?
    www.fishoregon.blogspot.com

“Many of us would probably be better fishermen if we did not spend so much time watching and waiting for the world to become perfect”
    ― Norman Maclean,

I don't like running my prawns straight, but that way does work just fine. Lots of guys use that method.

You can even plunk that rig, blade and all. Just match your blade style to the water speed. I was running it with a #4 french in some quicker water last year and hit 1-2 every day.