Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bobber vs drift fishing lets discuss

I do, for a 1/4 oz float for example I use a 1/4 oz weight. Then I use an 1/8 oz jig under that or simply a leader and bait, I don't have any problems with that setup.
    "Chuck Norris talks in the fourth person"

RollinontheRvr Guest

Same for me Os.

I used Beau Mac floats which seem to be a bit more bouyant than the West Coast floats. I will put a couple of #7 split shot on the leader along with the inline weight and it floats very well.

My preference for the Beau Mac is because I can see the yellow top better than the orange top on other floats. Both the West Coast & Beau Mac floats work it's just the sight thing is all. One other thing about the Beau Mac is that you don't have to add a bead on top, the hole in the float tube is too small for the bobber knot to go thru.

Great info! Which reel is preferred, spinning or baitcaster, and why?

I hook alot more fish drift fishing but bobber fishing you get a way more solid hook set IMO.. Drift fishing I've been averaging a little under 50 percent bobber fishing around 75 percent.. Both Bites are awesome but Something about that bobber makes me always bobber fish first. Priceless

Quote Originally Posted by Skunked View Post
    For light setups (under 1oz) spinning, you can't cast light effectively wit a baitcaster all the time.
    For heavier setups baitcaster. The drag and control is going to be needed if you're fishing with heavier setups like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Skunked View Post
    For floats smaller than one ounce I prefer to use a spinning reel for castability reasons. I can just give it a flick of the wrist and cast where I want. The drawback to the spinning reel is that it is more awkward to pay out more line to extend your drift. For drift fishing I have to use a casting reel. I can cast further, I can also get more casts in in a day without haveing to flip the bail over....One less step. As far as throwing hardware I'm still up in the air about which reel is better. I don't really prefer one over the other. I think the rod is most important with that.
    -Ken

Two fish swim into a concrete wall... One looks to the other and says " Dam!"

Quote Originally Posted by Spade View Post
    For light setups (under 1oz) spinning, you can't cast light effectively wit a baitcaster all the time.
    For heavier setups baitcaster. The drag and control is going to be needed if you're fishing with heavier setups like that.
    More weight for faster flows? The only setup I currently have is a 1/8 or 1/4 oz jig with 3/8 oz float and slinky to match.

No more weight for bigger fish in faster flows. 3oz floats and 30lb nooks!

For tossing hardware I totally prefer the baitcaster....the torque to reel the spinner in against the current at the end of the swing is tops!
    But then if you're tossing smaller spinners....baitcasters suck again.

Quote Originally Posted by Spade View Post
    No more weight for bigger fish in faster flows. 3oz floats and 30lb nooks!
    Why more weight for bigger fish? Do they need the bait to slow down to decide if they want to strike?

It's not so much the fish are bigger. It's where the salmon like to hold. They like deep water with crazy currents so heavy 1oz+ bobber systems are needed to fish them because u want ur bait down in there face.