Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tackle Treasures - Vintage Reel Collecting

Thumbs up Tackle Treasures - Vintage Reel Collecting

It may be surprising to know that much of the tackle that our fathers and even ourselves used at a younger age has now become vintage. Going even further back in time to our grandfathers and the makers of industry we are left with exquisite works of art that now fascinate the eyes of the anglers at any age. A value has also now been attached to many of these precision works of industrial art. I have been collecting antique tackle for as long as I have been fishing. Mostly lures in the begining, graduating later to reels and rods. I am one of those people that is fascinated with old reels. I look for reels that have intricate engraving or particularly nice handles, sometimes preserved by factory rubber grips. I am also in love with old reels that have inserts between the frames like many of the older Garcia's and Shakespeare's. My personal collection is broad with many types of reel from fly fishing to center pin, and from spinning to casting. I have placed on display several of my favorite reels along with angling art that I find appropriately matchs the erra. ~Enjoy ><,>~

~Pflueger NoBBy - Made in U.S.A~

~Shakespeare Super Reel - Made in U.S.A~

~Kalamazoo Tackle Company Bal-Cl1 23 Model B - Made in U.S.A~

~Garcia Ambassadeur G2650 - Made in Sweden~

~Garcia GK-61 - Made for foreign markets in Japan~

~Shakespeare Criterion - Made in U.S.A~

~Ocean City Amazon - Made in U.S.A.~

~Pflueger Summit - Made in U.S.A~

~Pflueger Akron - Made in U.S.A~

Please feel free to share photos of any old reels you have. I bet many of us have these as family heirlooms. If you dont have any, keep your eyes out when you visit garage sales and thrift stores. Antique stores often have nice reels on display. Knowing which reel might be worth a fortune can be a difficult task. I suggest instead that you look at them for asthetic or display value. Put them on display for others to see, it may start a pleasant conversation. Every reel has a story behind it. Although many of these reels may have a monitary value, the sentimental value may be much greater as is the case with many of my reels ><,> ><,>
    C. Winterwolf ><,> NWFI Community Director <,><

Golden Stone Web Design

One t0 MaNy cArp's 0n tHe braIn "2017"~<)))><

One t0 MaNy cArp's 0n tHe braIn "2016"~<)))><

Fighting over the fish will only serve to divert us from our common goal ><,>

"The more I see the less I know" Anthony Bourdain

VERY COOL Matt.........awesome collection you got going on there Amazing how times and technology change. Those reels were the pinnacle of performance during their time, and well built....lots of metal (heavy). Look at those small handle knobs

Thanks for sharing
    BENT RODS AND SCREAMING DRAGS TO ALL!!
    JOHN

Wow Matt, you have a very nice collection. Thank you for starting this thread. It's funny you should mentionthe vintage reels. I just gave a zebco cardinal 4 to my friends dad. He collects them.... Fishes with one as well. Yup. A zebco spinning reel attached to a GL2 rod. Cracks me up.
    -Ken

Two fish swim into a concrete wall... One looks to the other and says " Dam!"

RollinontheRvr Guest

Very nice Matt, those beauties deserve a beautiful show case to go with them. I went to a customers house where he had probably 200 old reels that he has restored over time. They were in a book shelf glass front case, it was quite the site to see.

Quote Originally Posted by spactrukn View Post
    Wow Matt, you have a very nice collection. Thank you for starting this thread. It's funny you should mentionthe vintage reels. I just gave a zebco cardinal 4 to my friends dad. He collects them.... Fishes with one as well. Yup. A zebco spinning reel attached to a GL2 rod. Cracks me up.
    The only antiqish reel I have is my dad's Zebco Cardinal 4 with the extra spool still in working condition. Dad used to fish for Salmon with that bad boy on an 11' fiberglass rod custom built by a buddy of his at work. I do not know what he did with rod, from what I remember of it, it would have been a killer float rod.
    Last edited by RollinontheRvr; 02-10-2011 at 09:39 PM.

Sweet pics Matt.

I have my grandpa's old reels with the old different/multi colored line still on it.
    "Chuck Norris talks in the fourth person"

Both of my parents had Langley reels. The reels were stolen from the last place that I lived. I do still have the their rods though.
    -Ken

Two fish swim into a concrete wall... One looks to the other and says " Dam!"

You see that alot Alan, I took those lines off a few of mine, wish I had not done that lol...

You also see alot of Garcia Mitchell 500 spinning reels turn up in family collections. Kind of like old Schwinn bicycles.

Thanks for the nice comments!

Golden Stone Web Design

Beautiful post! You're making miss my grandpa and dad...
    "Carpe Pisces"

Blog Entries

That is a great peek into your collection Matt! Wicked art, and awesome pictures man!

My dad has amassed a slew of misc abu's and penn's from the late 60's, and early 70's. He even has two matching cardinals from the 50's.
    I have a few of my grandpas old Mitchell 500's like Matt said, like an old Schwinn! But my Grandma that recently passed willed me an Abu Record Standard fly reel! It was Manufactured in Sweden between 1942, and 65. She bought it new the year my dad was born. '51. I will post a pic from a real camera once I get both. Still has silk line on it I believe.
    But I am in the plug collecting gig right now. I have lots of Helin's, Canada made Flatfish, lots of the bitter, Eddie Pope Hot Shots, a few tooth tattered Lucky Louie's and some of the Hot-N-Tot's that came in plastic boxes. I need to start documenting my vintage fishin crap collection!
    Dinger Jigs
    Lamiglas
    Costa Del Mar

Hostess OG Pro-Staff
    B-Squad!
    Yes, they eat eggs... No. You're WRONG!!!

I have a nice Langley...and a bunch of old pens.

Golden Stone Web Design