Thread: About Fish I.D. Forum

1. Post About Fish I.D. Forum

The new Fish I.D. section is a forum we can share information about identifying the many species of Northwest fishes we ecounter in our adventures. We have compiled a series of threads and photos to help with this task. We encourage you to ask questions. With strict regulation and predatory fish concerns such as pikeminnow in Oregon, there is no such thing as a silly question. To help keep this forum organized, members are free to reply to all threads. ~Enjoy~

Fish I.D. pages coming for steelhead, shad, pikeminnow - suckers, trout, and the bass coming soon!

We also encourage you to add clean, clear, no blood - broadside photo examples of your own to their respective threads to help other anglers! Please keep your native steelhead in the water.

Fish I.D. Pages SSSF

Last edited by KingSalmon Admin; 08-05-2016 at 02:31 PM.
    NWFI Administration

Golden Stone Web Design

I think that some clear pictures of Northern Pikeminnow/Squawfish. Tui Chub and Whitefish would be in order to be able to tell them all apart...... Oh and the suckermouth. I think they get confused with the pikeminnow alot.
    -Ken

Two fish swim into a concrete wall... One looks to the other and says " Dam!"

Yes, that is of course an idea on the list : ) I agree that suckers get a raw deal some times..thanks Ken
    C. Winterwolf ><,> NWFI Community Director <,><

Golden Stone Web Design

One t0 MaNy cArp's 0n tHe braIn "2017"~<)))><

One t0 MaNy cArp's 0n tHe braIn "2016"~<)))><

Fighting over the fish will only serve to divert us from our common goal ><,>

"The more I see the less I know" Anthony Bourdain

Blog Entries

Matt,

if you remember the North Umpqua River post I made a few months back, its got a great shot of a sea run cutthroat that you can feel free to use for the Fish ID of that if you want. It's not the best picture as the fish isn't perfectly centered in the photo but you're more then welcome to use it.
    Teddy Wise - Senior Moderator, NWFI

http://therealwiseone.blogspot.com/

OSU Class of 2013 - Go Beavs
    B.S. in Fisheries and Wildlife Sciences
    Fisheries Technician with WDFW

"The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope." ~ John Buchan

Death is Certain - Fishing is Not

yes we will need to get more photos this summer : )

Golden Stone Web Design

Can we still call them squawfish, since well, that has been their name forever?
    Tie on a tuna

Ever wonder why they changed its name from Squawfish to Pikeminnow? Heres why

"The Northern Pikeminnow Management program"

from ODFW

In 1990 regional managers approved the use of targeted fisheries for harvesting northern pikeminnow (formerly known as northern squawfish) within the lower Columbia and Snake rivers. Earlier research (1983 1986)

From wiki

""Squawfish" is their traditional name. In 1999, the American Fisheries Society adopted "pikeminnow" as the name it recommends, because some Native Americans considered "squawfish" offensive"

I am thinking I will stay with pikeminnow (*_*)

"

Golden Stone Web Design