Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Broken IM8, options?

1. Default Broken IM8, options?

I managed to break my brand new Okuma guide select 9'6" 8-12. I broke off the last 3 eyelets, roughly 10". Can I carefully trim it off at the 4th eyelet and fish it as a 8'8"? Can I replace the broken top half with any IM8 of the same rating? Can I have the 4th eyelet removed and have a tip put on?

RollinontheRvr Guest

I would say contact Berkley for a replacement tip section. If you just put a tip on the end of the rod as is I would think it would screw up the action of the rod...JMO.

Dave Guest

I would take it back to the store. Generally with those rods they will replace the whole rod. If you add a differant tip section it will change the action. I am not sure how you broke it but that is a not so common place for a break. Was the break clean or was it an accident on your part?

ironhead Guest

Exactly what dave said, take it back to the store where it came from and they should replace it. By trying to fix it the rod is never the same the action is totally different.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by DL Custom Rods View Post
    I would take it back to the store. Generally with those rods they will replace the whole rod. If you add a differant tip section it will change the action. I am not sure how you broke it but that is a not so common place for a break. Was the break clean or was it an accident on your part?
    I had it broken down into two pieces in the back of my rig, and had a spinner hooked on an eyelet about half way down. I like to reel in slack when I store rods, and I usually just pull gently as my drag slips to put the rod together. I guess the line was hooked somewhere else, maybe on the reel handle and as I pulled, it flexed the tip to the breaking point. Needless to say I won't be using that technique in the future. Should I try to take it back to Fishermans?

Dave Guest

That is a bummer. Yeah, if you just bought it take it back. I have heard they are pretty good about that. Talk to Dave in tackle if he is there and you are going to OC.

It doesn't matter where you purchased it. Fisherman's will send it back for you. I think they charge $12.00 to do so.

Dave Guest

That is a good deal

Blog Entries

The Guide Select series of rod has a lifetime warranty thru Okuma. Just send it back to them. I doubt Fishermans will handle it for you. Unless it is their "house" brand rod. Like the North Rivers, or Xstream's. They replace those while you wait, but just get a 3 dollar tube, and spend 7 to ship it out. My sidedrifting fleet are all 4-8 GS. Ive crackered one rod, twice. Okuma has had one back to me the same week.
    Dinger Jigs
    Lamiglas
    Costa Del Mar

Hostess OG Pro-Staff
    B-Squad!
    Yes, they eat eggs... No. You're WRONG!!!

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
    The Guide Select series of rod has a lifetime warranty thru Okuma. Just send it back to them. I doubt Fishermans will handle it for you. Unless it is their "house" brand rod. Like the North Rivers, or Xstream's. They replace those while you wait, but just get a 3 dollar tube, and spend 7 to ship it out. My sidedrifting fleet are all 4-8 GS. Ive crackered one rod, twice. Okuma has had one back to me the same week.
    That sounds good to me! Have you contacted them prior to shipping, or will they figure out what to do on their own?