Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shad Tips

1. Default Shad Tips

how about we share a few tips regarding our favorite member of the Herring family. Bank or Boat, I think we can come up with some good stuff for the "tackle box".

-Back Bouncing, sometimes the bite goes dead after being red hot for some time it helps to pick up your rod and slowly bounce it off the bottom. Often this will trigger a grab from previously lock-jawed fish. Watch Matt's video on the home page titled "Alosa Sapidissima" for an expert demonstration and watch Matt call his shot.

-Scents, not much is said for adding different scents to your Shad lures as often the fishing is so good your lure could smell like the south end of a north-bound skunk and still get hit. But sometimes the bite slows down and it's time to try some unconventional tactics. This weekend I was out and after a couple hours of steady action, the bite died and my usual tricks weren't cutting the mustard so I reached into my box and dropped a dab of Pro-Cure's "Krill Anise" gel to my Dick Nite, and would'nt you know it I hooked a fish before I could get the rod in the holder. I was able to repeat this scenario twice more before the end of the day. I have not tried but have heard of Garlic working as well also.

Anybody else have anything good to add? No need for keeping secrets people, it's Shad there are plenty to go around
    Team B-Squad

put a #10 swivel half way down the leader, and a very small spin n glo with a bead below it on top of the swivel. Some days the hottest rods have those on 'em for me.

move, move, move till you find the lane. sometimes its just a mtter of feet!

one of the scents I've found to work real well is shad slime. wipe your fingers on the first one you catch and put it on your lure of choice
    "Chuck Norris talks in the fourth person"

I have seen people use the Shad themselves as scent also. Once you catch the Shad take your lure and rub it on the body of the fish and then cast out. Cheapest scent ever.

Alan beat me to it but there you go.

Shortbus Guest

Female shad works the best.

If your dont get bit within a 1/2 hour, your in the wrong spot. Watch where they are getting em and get above or below them, slide your boat from side to side to find the lane.

Any tips on what to do with them after? I have never shade fished...but interested to know what the after options are...

For men may come and men may go, But I go on for ever. - Alfred Lord Tennyson "The Brook"

crab or sturgeon bait....some people eat them but it's VERY bony.

Shortbus Guest

They are in high demand when halibut opens, you can sometimes trade an open seat for a bunch of them, heck people are asking to buy them all the time on other sites.

just dont store them in your food freezer, they will give food a "shad flavor"

Yes some people eat them after they have been in a pressure cooker all day. I don't think there is any trick to getting them all you need is a small presentation that is bright green, sometimes they will go for pink and white, and then find their lane of travel.
    fishing is a family thing and crabbing and camping and...

You can fillet and skin them. Basic salt brine for about an hour, nothing fancy here just salt and water. Pat the fillets dry and let sit till tacky. Lightly smoke them, then can them in small jars in a pressure canner. The high heat and pressure will soften the bones and create a very tasty snack.
    -Ken

Two fish swim into a concrete wall... One looks to the other and says " Dam!"

I know a few people that love pan frying the females eggs for breakfast, Me - I can't get past the smell. Of course with all things, depends how hungry I am
    "Chuck Norris talks in the fourth person"