Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shad Tips

That's how I feel about walleye I think they smell like 3 day old wet diapers.
    fishing is a family thing and crabbing and camping and...

2. Default

Just like spacktruckn i'm gonna try canning them this year. Right now I have about 30 in the freezer and am waiting until I get over 100 before I do a batch. The meat tastes pretty good, they are just too bony to eat easily.

And I'll pass on frying the roe....have you guys noticed the parasites in the guts of these fish???? EVERY single female I have caught this year and last (so probly around 30) has had worms. And several of the males too. All of these are in the gut cavity. I have not seen any in the meat.

As far as catching them.....I like to thread on an egg sinker, tie into a barrel swivel, and then run a 5 foot leader to a dart. I like the longer leader as I feel it makes the dart dance around more enticing more strikes. I always "walk the dog" retrieve it, sometimes pause the retrieve, and usually it gets hammered when I do that. Once you get a fish, just try to remember what level in the water column you got it, where on the swing of the drift, and/or whether it was on the retrieve or the drift. Then, recreate. I have found krill scent alone to be $$$$$. On sunday I put scent on my dart, and at least 12 times caught one on the next cast. And since the columbia is super muddy and the visibility is low, I am sometimes increasing the bait profile by adding a curly tail grub to the dart. Dart colors: red/white or orange/chartruese.

hope this helps

3. Default

okay all this talk about eating the damn things is making me sick. lets stick to the tips and tricks please . Good stuff so far!
    Team B-Squad

RollinontheRvr Guest

Are there any good places to fish for them from the bank in the Oregon City area? I am going to be crabbing in the near future and want to provide the bait for the traps.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by RollinontheRvr View Post
    Are there any good places to fish for them from the bank in the Oregon City area? I am going to be crabbing in the near future and want to provide the bait for the traps.
    Traditionally yes, they normally get a lot of fish at Clackamette Park but this year with the water so high the seams are barely within casting range so its been a bit slow. I have about a dozen in the freezer right now and will likely have a bunch more after this weekend. you can have all you want, just let me know.
    Team B-Squad

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Metal Slinger View Post
    Traditionally yes, they normally get a lot of fish at Clackamette Park but this year with the water so high the seams are barely within casting range so its been a bit slow. I have about a dozen in the freezer right now and will likely have a bunch more after this weekend. you can have all you want, just let me know.
    This is a great deal Dave. Have him hold on to them in his freezer until you need them.

Maybe he could take you fishing for them and store them.
    Last edited by TTJLN; 06-18-2011 at 11:57 AM.

Here are my top 5 shad tips that matter big time.

1 I like to fishing during the afternoon on sunny days. Shad bite well during this period as they are often glued to the botton at this time and are active in feeding. I can tell when I go out that if its a cloudy day its gonna be tough going unless EVERYTHING is perfect otherwise.

2 Start out with 1 rod on the bottom and 1 rod on a diver at around 8 to 10 feet. This will help you determine were in the water colume the shad are traveling.

3 If they are not hitting the green or red darts or flys, go to a hildebrandt or a dick nite in gold. Might even catch a surprise!

4 use a scent on your lures and flys, metal lures included. A bait fish oil, or baitfish oil "based" scent *wink* will work wonders for a dead bite.

5 When fish are fickle on the bite but are present, try continualy working the lure by back bouncing the rig as you would for salmon. When it gets to far back, reel in, scent, repeat : ) Use only enough weight to make it somewhat hard to bounce back so each run takes about 20 minutes. As an alternative you can bounce it back 20 feet and place in holder for a few minutes and repeat. Saves the arm in heavy current.

Also I would like to note on Alan's comment about changing lanes. This is a very true statement when it comes to the Willamette River. You need to find current. Fish on the outgoing tide and find the spots in the river that are 12 to 16 feet and have a medium and steady current. Should be able to find fish there. Find a day when the outgoing tide will meet with a sunny day and you will have the money!

Please also keep in mind that shad numbers are currently on the decline.
    C. Winterwolf ><,> NWFI Community Director <,><

Golden Stone Web Design

One t0 MaNy cArp's 0n tHe braIn "2017"~<º)))><

One t0 MaNy cArp's 0n tHe braIn "2016"~<º)))><

Fighting over the fish will only serve to divert us from our common goal ><,>

"The more I see the less I know" Anthony Bourdain

I hear a lot of talk about crappie jugs and Dick nite's...would a wedding ring on a plunging setup work? Or is it mainly more a drift technique?

Anyone goin out to clackamette this weekend to try and Target them? Might swing down there Sunday...

For men may come and men may go, But I go on for ever. - Alfred Lord Tennyson "The Brook"

Blog Entries

Cascade was fire today. Dude next to me caught around 200 in 12 hours, and I was there for 5 hours and between me and two friends, we caught 150 shad and 4 salmon.
    www.fishoregon.blogspot.com

“Many of us would probably be better fishermen if we did not spend so much time watching and waiting for the world to become perfect”
    ― Norman Maclean,