Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trying to figure out a fishing trip

Default Trying to figure out a fishing trip

Hey gents,
    My old man's offering to take me somewhere this summer for some fishing. Basically, I get to choose the spot since I'll be bogged down in dental school for the next 4 years. I've already had the pleasure of fly fishing the snake in Wyoming for cutts and would like to make a trip to Alaska or Canada instead (Although New Zealand's tempting). I don't know much about the Alaskan runs though. I'm assuming they have some stuff going on in the summer. I'm more of a bank fisherman and I tend to shy away from guided trips...which leaves me with a small stream. So, options are probably limited. I'll start doing some research soon but wanted to see if I could get pointed in a general direction on here.
    Thanks,
    Matt

Spose it depends on what type of fish or fishing you are looking for before someone can really give opinions/options...can you narrow it down a little as both are a rather large area with many varied techniques and species...

If you're just looking for some place to go...Chasing Walleye and Pike at Rainy Lake , or fishing any of the shield lakes for that matter is just awesome over the summer...

For men may come and men may go, But I go on for ever. - Alfred Lord Tennyson "The Brook"

Sorry about that, salmon/steelhead.

............ think kinda covered in a post gabe did everyone put in where they though was cool... lot of people said the SITUK river.... if i had a choice probably be for steel or reds just because cant get reds down here and there a blast to fight. Steel because just cance of the 20lbers

Glanced over the threads but didn't find anything that struck me. Kind of overwhelming looking at all the rivers, right now I'm starting with the tribs to the Skeena and The Dean. Dean gets steelhead starting in July but I'm not sure how far they'll be up in the system. I don't mind fly fishing but would prefer drift/floating...if that's even an option there.

Blog Entries

With all the non-selective netting going on for Sockeye, and Kings... The Skeena Steelhead are almost gone for most of the early season. Its much easier to get into the later run fish(Aug, or Sept) that come up the tribs, well into oct. or even nov. That being said, the Terrace area is beautiful, and if you ever find yourself up there. Lemme know, I can arrange a place to stay for a night or two while you travel thru. And fly fishing is just one of those cannuk things... Like hockey, and the french language out east... It just, is... Lots of guys gear fish 'em, and the modern day, N.W. steelhead jig fishing industry was practically spawned in northern B.C. You'll get a kick out of wherever you end up. The foreign places we visit on a whim, are often the most rewarding memories we make for ourselves. Get out there man.
    Dinger Jigs
    Lamiglas
    Costa Del Mar

Hostess OG Pro-Staff
    B-Squad!
    Yes, they eat eggs... No. You're WRONG!!!

Thanks Ian, I'll keep that in mind about the skeena. Unfortunately dental school starts Aug 13 so I'm somewhat limited to a June or July trip. Not sure what that will entail but I will get it figured out.

Dave Guest

Tomans King Camp. If you want to fish yourself to death and catch tons of fish that is the place to be if you are looking for a great time with great people. I have lots of of pictures if you want me to send them to you.

Dave

Blog Entries

Gotta be there on the right week, but yes... It can literally go from catching, one or two kings a day, to arm-pump, and over 70 to the boat in a day! Hot and heavy, is how they start to run the Nush! Its gnar!
    Dinger Jigs
    Lamiglas
    Costa Del Mar

Hostess OG Pro-Staff
    B-Squad!
    Yes, they eat eggs... No. You're WRONG!!!

Tomans king camp on the Nush is by far my vote.
    Find my post from last july - and remember that I left out 600+ chinook pics. Sockeye cruising the banks like black clouds, just thousands and thousands of them. Unreal amount of chum biting anything around them. Chrome 30" dollies. We got a coho last july too!
    Not to mention 100 kings a day for two people, with a few days way over that.

Incredibly clean campsite, They rigged a pump and tubing around a wood stove so you have warm showers, Excellent full height wall tents, comfy cots, World class Traeger cooked meals every day, and great fishermen running the boats.

I'm not discrediting any other camps, but the Tomans is as good as it gets.
    Last edited by Osmosis; 03-30-2012 at 12:07 PM.
    "Chuck Norris talks in the fourth person"