Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sandy summer on the spey

Ian described a hobo spey pretty well. Its a 2 inch marabou and lady amherst spey swinger with a trailing hook. I add micro dumbells to get it down a little better but its still easy to cast. I fish it off a skagit setup but without lead eyes you could fish it on a scandi I think. Its a pretty common fly these days. You must have forgot to include the word spey in your search for hobo spey.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4pJ3_cZ760
    Last edited by wfocharlie; 05-25-2012 at 02:41 PM.

boy you sure like to hand me a line Arctic how can the hobo resemble a GBS? more like a popsicle! i now smile with your replies

i didn't see charlies post. i have 4 of them flies in my box. no kidding. i forgot what they were. Bought them during the winter but haven't used them but I did use a purple one last fall as I did have 1 at that time. I wouldn't call it a hobo spey. I would call it "the full course" "full bag of tricks"

OK, guess since we're on the Sandy, who would be willing to answer a few questions about the Sandy for me? Thanks
    Last edited by insectgreen; 05-25-2012 at 08:41 PM.

What are your questions? is my first question. I may or may not be able to answer them.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by wfocharlie View Post
    I am learning that much of my early low success rate was due to being in the learning process (not knowing what I was doing). The learning curve for this is pretty long and it takes a lot of hours to get any degree of proficiency. When I first started I was getting a fish every 50 hours of fishing. Then it went to 30. Now its down to 20. I'll bet by the end of next winter I may have it down to 10. I like things that are hard. I always have. I find the accomplishments much more rewarding when this is the case. I fish a lot since I retired. When I started getting a couple steelhead every time I went drift fishing it started to feel kind of dull. I remember every fish I got on this spey rod this year because I was fist pumping, howl at the moon psyched and thats how I want to feel when I get one. You will get more fish if you keep at it. But I don't thing it will ever be like drift fishing.
    I will cross my fingers you stay on this path of success. I went down the same road after a couple years my catch rate started to go up. I even had a 4 fish day on the clack a few years ago. There was a stretch where I went months without a fishless day. I am talking April through November I would get a fish every time on the water. Then, this winter I have gotten into only 2 fish. One landed and one that tore me up and ended in a LDR. This winter was a bit off due to my schedule but in the end I am on a slump. It really puts you in your place, for a while I was getting pretty ****y, ha ha.

Also, when it comes to swinging flies the spring on our local rivers is on fire! Winter is hit or miss but when the summers, late winter and chinook come into the river catch rate for swung fish goes up. Well, it goes up for me and my friends. The fish get a little more aggressive, water warms a little and one can really get into them.

Blog Entries

Water temps. Fir sure. As the water warms, their metabolism increases, This change, along with a whole bunch of other stuff... Makes 'em get more "grabby" so to speak.
    Dinger Jigs
    Lamiglas
    Costa Del Mar

Hostess OG Pro-Staff
    B-Squad!
    Yes, they eat eggs... No. You're WRONG!!!

thanks sir, pm sent

I have to admit I prefer to fish for summers because they are more willing to chomp a fly, at least for me. Today I worked through a run on the Sandy with a larger intruderish fly and nada. I felt the run had to be holding a fish so I waded back to the boat for lunch and changed out my fly to a micro moal and swapped my 12lb leader for 8lb flurocarbon. Not ten steps downstream and this lady attacks the moal with a vengeance. Not sure if I just missed her the first time through the run or if the large fly was too intimidating. The water visibility was also pretty good so I felt more confident with fluorocarbon. When I unhooked her I noticed the hook was almost bent straight! No more cheap hooks

Blog Entries

Chad, how does your presentation come across the fish do you think... When I really try to "chase" a fly across a tailout with some speed, I find that light leaders seem to make a difference. Sorta anyways. I dont know if this is because the fish can get a better look at the whole giddup coming across, or if it is simply coincidence. I try to correlate gear fishing experiences to fur swinging, but its takin some due time... I also dont fish the two hander all that often. But.. I do know that when Ive got guys sidedrifting a run that I can get back to the top of, lighter leaders are key to success in normal, to low water conditions. I started with 10# UG with great results, but after some live, and learn days... I have since switched all my sidedrifting rigs out to flouro, or at worst, 8# UG. And my hookups per trip, goes up with flouro... Winters, and predominantly wild runs are a different story tho. Its 10, or 12# UG or bust. I dont like to screw around I guess, but I can get 'em landed pretty quick, even fumbling in a tailout with a fly rod. ITs crazy those scrappy lil fish can actually straighten hooks out! Its amazing how much physical pressure you have to put on one to bend it in your hands, even the cheepo brands!
    Dinger Jigs
    Lamiglas
    Costa Del Mar

Hostess OG Pro-Staff
    B-Squad!
    Yes, they eat eggs... No. You're WRONG!!!

You bring up a good point. I figure a light fly needs a light leader and vice versa. Throwing a half chicken is gonna require a heavy leader help move and turn over the fly. Winter time no doubt it's 12lb UG but I'm digging the light fluoro for spring and summer swinging. I tied the little micro leeches with a #6 octopus so it's already a pretty wimpy hook to begin with. I still have a bad habit of palming the reel a little hard from my centerpin days!

you guys ever fish Teeny leeches? i'm not kidding you but one day was epic for me but I know nobody's askin..., ) but just wondering what some of you thought of his flies? Anyway, when I was living in AK in 2005, on the kasilof.... then i'll get to the Kalama, in a sec. Anyway i hooked 20 kings on June 4th. it was also a day for my first king on a fly. I only used his #2 hot green and hot orange Leeches. I know the kings were moving up because we all caught the run just right that day but I wasn't hooking any with what flies i was using. When i put on a Teeny #2 regular Leech, it was like fireworks! I ended up landing 14 and released every one. What a great experience that was. Caught many steelhead on the black egg sucker in the spring just at break up before they went back to the ocean.

sometimes i don't do so well but when I was fishing the Kalama last summer for the first time, i wasn't doing so hot because i guess i was stupid. Tried everything then I finally went sparse! when i finally went with sz 4 & 6 insect green in low clear water on the Kalama last summer I murdered them! almost every day i then started hooking fish. I wasn't used to fishing such low clear rivers. I fished the Rogue in h.s. days and did good but I mean that color of dye pheasant feather the steelhead really go after it agressively. I watched many of them chase downstream and they just hammered it. Sometimes it seems one color does it all for the day. I couldn't hook a silver on the Kenai to save my life after my first one. I was skunked the entire fall after that. I sure would like to get another shot at silvers one day. One day i hooked a hot silver and boy was that fun. like a torpedo bearly under the surface, then i started to wonder where is this guy gonna go next! that fish didn't come on a teeny leech. i was using an orange flesh fly with a ligher orange bead in between the two sections of maribou. Broke the hook.
    Last edited by insectgreen; 05-27-2012 at 11:45 AM.