Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sandy summer on the spey

Default Sandy summer on the spey

After a couple days at the Sandy spey clave I was ready to go fishing and try some of this stuff out and waddaya know it worked. Taken on a pink and orange hobo spey with my beulah 11'6'' 6wt "baby spey" rod. I had been missing grabs and got some advice to "do nothing" when you feel a grab which is the hardest thing to do, even though I have heard it before. When the fish started taking line I lifted and she was mine. Ed took the photo when I saw him down at the next hole and tried to get a grab with my rod on some stubborn fish that were in there. Ed is a pretty good spey caster. Who knew?
    Nice photo Ed. You chromed it up for me with the flash and the tilt.

Blog Entries

Bitter yo!
    Dinger Jigs
    Lamiglas
    Costa Del Mar

Hostess OG Pro-Staff
    B-Squad!
    Yes, they eat eggs... No. You're WRONG!!!

Blog Entries

Alright, way to go Charlie! What a nice fish. I want to try that spey fishing sometime It looks really fun.
    Teddy Wise - Senior Moderator, NWFI

http://therealwiseone.blogspot.com/

OSU Class of 2013 - Go Beavs
    B.S. in Fisheries and Wildlife Sciences
    Fisheries Technician with WDFW

"The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope." ~ John Buchan

Death is Certain - Fishing is Not

Charlie, I like that hat dude! The nice chromer fish is pretty nice too. That whole spey thing is still for me at least, a crazy beast and can't figure out how the heck you can get a fish to bite... I dunno, I'll check it out one of these days but you seem to be adapting to it very, very well. Hat's off to you Charlie..
    -Ken

Two fish swim into a concrete wall... One looks to the other and says " Dam!"

Nicely done! Good to see some of that advice from the Clave was put to good use. Wish I still had my toon to float the upper stretches, the drift boat just can't go quite as many places!

I see guys rowing dodge to oxbow in driftboats from time to time but you would really have to have it dialed. There are a couple of really long boulder gardens that require a lot of manuevering. The problem with those darn drift boats is they can sink. The cats will float even if they are upside down.

Quote Originally Posted by Twise95 View Post
    Alright, way to go Charlie! What a nice fish. I want to try that spey fishing sometime It looks really fun.
    the casting part is fun....ya don't catch much though....
    Time spent on the water is never deducted from one's lifespan.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastcostborn View Post
    the casting part is fun....ya don't catch much though....
    I am learning that much of my early low success rate was due to being in the learning process (not knowing what I was doing). The learning curve for this is pretty long and it takes a lot of hours to get any degree of proficiency. When I first started I was getting a fish every 50 hours of fishing. Then it went to 30. Now its down to 20. I'll bet by the end of next winter I may have it down to 10. I like things that are hard. I always have. I find the accomplishments much more rewarding when this is the case. I fish a lot since I retired. When I started getting a couple steelhead every time I went drift fishing it started to feel kind of dull. I remember every fish I got on this spey rod this year because I was fist pumping, howl at the moon psyched and thats how I want to feel when I get one. You will get more fish if you keep at it. But I don't thing it will ever be like drift fishing.
    Last edited by wfocharlie; 05-22-2012 at 04:09 PM.

nice goin but what the heck is a orange and pink hobo? i did a search and all i came up with were lady's purses. i can imagine it might look like a fat freddy, them big yarn balls with all sorts of fireworks coming out of it with tinsel. when are you guys gonna start using real feathers and insects?

Blog Entries

Hobo's are sparsely tied, usually articulated, swing flies.

Three or four warps of marabou follow a little bit a lady amherst usually. Very simple, but the little bug fishes "bigger" than its out-of-water look.

They are kind of the new-skool, Green Butt Skunk.
    Dinger Jigs
    Lamiglas
    Costa Del Mar

Hostess OG Pro-Staff
    B-Squad!
    Yes, they eat eggs... No. You're WRONG!!!