Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sandy summer on the spey

Blog Entries

I dont fish Teeny stuff these days, but I have, and Ive done alright with 'em in the past. Never hooked a Salmon on those Teeeny nymphs tho... although I see guys doin it in tidewater on the trask every fall... Thats a little different tho.

I do agree that some days the fish are keyed in on a certain type of offering, or a specific color. And in some instances, you can fish on the same pod of fish the next day, and its completely different. One day, like 17 years ago I got the same fish about 6 hours apart on the Deschutes. In the early morning she came up and ate a sub-surface waking fly. A Bomber, tied Randy Stutzer style. And then in the heat of the afternoon, she came on a deep dredged black, and red articulated leech thing. There was a a large set of seal gashes on her port flank that gave it away. I was fishin a true greased line in the AM, and a heavy, Teeny Tip Taper(one of the best, chuk n duck lines ever made!) in the afternoon. Goes to show ya, fish are as unique as people. Some days they are in the mood, and some days they just arent. And some days they aer interested in Rock 'n Roll(green, black, blue lets say), and others they are more into Classical(red, orange, pink, we'll assume) for some reason. The reason, is anyones guess, but having a small variety of gear to try out, is always a good idea.
    Dinger Jigs
    Lamiglas
    Costa Del Mar

Hostess OG Pro-Staff
    B-Squad!
    Yes, they eat eggs... No. You're WRONG!!!

Ed Fast Guest

Large swung flies and small, sparse flies are simply different presentations, IMO. It's no different with gear fishing. There are small pieces of yarn fish and there are spinner fish. Some are both. I bet that summer fish followed your intruder then went back to her spot. Your next pass with a different fly, you got her. It could've (spell check says "could've" is not correct) been the opposite, just as easily. One time on the Salmon River (Queets trib) in late December, the water was high and dirty and stuffed with fresh winter runs. We couldn't get them on eggs or yarnies so my friend says, "I'm goin' back to my bread and butter" and ties on the smallest size pink pearl corkie. He put on a clinic at my and our guides amazement. Ummm, what was my point? Oh, just that a different presentation can pick up fish, with no set rules or patterns.

I bet a small, pink and white, or peach yarn fly swung on a spey rod would catch more fish than an intruder. If you watch some of the gear guys I take work a run with the drift rods and yarn, they are basically spey fishing with the drift rod and often hook fish at the hang down. Same with the spoon fishermen.

Wow, I'm yammerin'. About the teeny nymphs...yes, flies like that in different colors are often very effective. Small shrimp, leach and nymph patterns look like things that most fish like to eat. Add in the size and color variations and you can really cover a lot of different situations.

don't forget, Jim usually uses 12 pound test, even in clear water in the summer. I, personally, think you should drop to the line you think is right for the conditions. On the Sandy, I've never dropped below 8# UG.

That's an awesome photo of that summer run with your fly rod. Nice!!

Ed
    Last edited by Ed Fast; 05-27-2012 at 09:07 AM.

I believe that fishing deep swung flies for winter and spring steelhead (water under 45 degrees) is the most difficult yet rewarding method for catching steelhead. My belief is based on experience catching Steelhead with drift gear, plugs, dead drifting flies with a single handed fly rod, and swinging flies with a spey rod. Of course surface fishing with flies would be more difficult, but i believe that should be reserved for warmer water when the fish are more agressive. I also believe that if a steelhead is in the right mood it will take almost any swung fly on any leader. The fly, leader strength and material make little difference so i try not to over think them. If one is concerned about the flies action in relationship to the leader a loop knot should eliminate that concern. The fish is going to see the fly before the leader so the leader material should make little difference. The most important aspect of a steelhead fly is yhe anglers confidence in it. To me the most important variable is the presentation. As I work through a run I start with a very short cast and lengthen the line about three feet after each swing until the desired length cast is achieved. Then I make 2 steps after each cast and work through the run. I want each cast to be the same length and swing in the same arc as slowly and consistently as possible. Steelhead have suberb vision and probably see the fly as it swings in front of them 1 or more swings before the swing it actually moves to the fly and grabs and turns with it. In a solid take line burns from the reel The angler swings the rod towards his downstream bank the fish hooking itself firmly in the corner of the jaw. With that being said it doesn't hurt to return to the top of the run change fly patterns and go through again. Especially if the angler feels there are fish in the run. Again, confidence is the key. One must anticipate a grab on every swing. I have put in many hours since my last hook up. However, I have confidence in what I am doing and feel that the next grab up is probably going to happen on the next swing of the fly. I can't wait...
    Last edited by Dillon; 05-28-2012 at 08:19 AM.

Chad, I'm fist pumpin psyched that you nailed one. Was that your spey or switch rod? Also were you out in your drift boat?

I hooked a back flipping cart wheelin psycho fish today that went through all that and finally got off as I was leading it to the bank by the nose ring with just the sink tip out. It was so much fun that I wasn't even that bummed that it got off.

Jay pretty much everything I know about spey fishing I learned from you and I'm hooking fish so I'm pretty confident in those techniques you mentioned also.

I've hooked fish now on different intruders, black and blue leeches and hobo speys. When ever I'm casting good and presenting well I seem to hook fish. I think that is every bit as important as the fly if not more so.

That was on my 13' 8wt. I have given up on the switch rod for bigger water casting. I was casting the intruder with t14 and may have been in the rocks a little much. I switched to t11 with the moal and I think I was getting a much better presentation to the fish. I was using the drift boat to hole hop. Floated over a few bright fish so I figured I had a slight chance of hooking up We should try and make a few Deschutes floats once the fish are in.

Blog Entries

Chad, beautiful fish dude! What a great fish for the spey rod
    Teddy Wise - Senior Moderator, NWFI

http://therealwiseone.blogspot.com/

OSU Class of 2013 - Go Beavs
    B.S. in Fisheries and Wildlife Sciences
    Fisheries Technician with WDFW

"The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope." ~ John Buchan

Death is Certain - Fishing is Not

Quote Originally Posted by Chedster View Post
    That was on my 13' 8wt. I have given up on the switch rod for bigger water casting. I was casting the intruder with t14 and may have been in the rocks a little much. I switched to t11 with the moal and I think I was getting a much better presentation to the fish. I was using the drift boat to hole hop. Floated over a few bright fish so I figured I had a slight chance of hooking up We should try and make a few Deschutes floats once the fish are in.
    I'm all over a Deschutes float Chad.

One of the things I learned at the spey clave from the gurus is to fish stuff you can cast and present well rather than what is the hot fly or gear of the month.

Quote Originally Posted by wfocharlie View Post
    I hooked a back flipping cart wheelin psycho fish today that went through all that and finally got off as I was leading it to the bank by the nose ring with just the sink tip out. It was so much fun that I wasn't even that bummed that it got off.
    It was a long distance catch and release . I always get nervous when trying to slide them up on the bank, I have done exactly what happened to you a few times. Hooked another hot fish today only to have it run straight into a submerged log and break me off. Gotta love hot summer steelhead.