Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nymph or swing???

Default Nymph or swing???

Here is my response to the silly nymph or swing debate I made on another forum. I copied it here in hope that someone finds it interesting.

I learned about fly fishing for steelhead by reading articles by Bill McMillan in Salmon, Trout, and Steelheader. Later he compiled the articles in his book, Dry Line Steelhead and Other Subjects, 1987. Here is something that he wrote: The natural drift method of fishing a fly on a floating line is precisely that: a trout fishing technique that is equally effective on steelhead. However, this by no means the only means of fishing a floating line for steelhead; it is only one of 8-9 dry line methods that I shuttle about in my approach to steelhead. One detects the strike of a steelhead to the natural drift in exactly the same manner as one would for trout; when the line hesitates, jerks, or most commonly bows upstream, one must react with an immediate strike. I do not use a strike indicator-a light colored floating line effectively acts as such.
    Interesting, eh?
    I never got to see Bill fish. However I watched Mark Noble demonstrate all the methods with a single handed rod. I kinda miss fishing one so I strung up my old 10ft 7wt Scott and Hardy reel the other day.
    Dillon
    Last edited by Dillon; 06-20-2012 at 08:50 AM.

you mean on ifish? There are no rules about using any other forums name here.

"Swinging is for elitists" "nymphing isn't fly fishing" blah blah. To think if "we all got along" how powerful we could be. Sporties, commercials, fishermen in general, not just fly guys.

I do both, but in my world every piece of fishing gear is a tool to successfully accomplish my goal. My goal could be the constant mental distraction of swinging all day, the hyper focus of nymphing/float fishing under an indicator/bobber, or many options in between. Swing the drift water and nymph the pocket water...hell I nymph the still water even!

Ed Fast Guest

Nice post!

I was also inspired by Bill's writing as a young man. Great stuff.

Ed

I agree with spade, fishing gear of all types are all tools. Just like at my job, I use a lot of diff. tools to get the job done. Sure I could do it with less tools, but that's the beauty. We can pick and choose, and there's no reason to attack anyone for how they fish with the tools. I could build a car with only a wrench but, dang it would take a long time. I won't knock the guy who uses a hammer and dolly to shape metal over the guy who uses a plasma cutter. Same with fishing. Use all the tools, or a few, but make sure you have fun doing it. Otherwise its work and we all do enough of that!

Good points by all. I think Bill isnt a fan of the "thingamabobber". I kinda look at it like this, It depends on how bad you want to catch a fish. If your not getting them one way, your probably going to try another, unless your extremely dedicated, which some people are, just depends on their personal goal I guess. I dont get wrapped up in labels and stigmas in fishing, besides ******** and ******** of course. Im just want to try new things and hopefully hook some fish! Both are cool ways to catch some awsome fish.

....roe pattern anyone?

If its legal and ethical then fish the way that you want to. If you stick to one type of presentation you will limit the type of water you can effectively fish. I was on the clack the other day and one of the guides got a kick out of seeing me (a spey rod guy) with a chinook bobber rod on my boat. No prediduces here.
    It does seem a little silly to me to nymph fish off the bow of a boat in a bobber dogging fashion since so much of the appeal of fly fishing to me is the casting presentation but I wouldn't give anyone a hard time about it if thats what they wanted to do it. Well maybe I would a little bit

I like swinging simply because I enjoy throwing big casts across the river and the tight line grab. I don't think of it as a more or less noble or worthy way of fishing, I just enjoy it more.

My reason for making this post was to point out that Bill, a steelhead fly fishing pioneer in this area, utilized both swinging and nymphing as 2 of his 8-9 techniques. The wet fly swing is the easiest to learn and very productive especially with the 2 handed rods, shooting heads, and high density sink tips most commonly used today. I believe Bill's favored presentations were waking and skating dry flies. Anyway, I just thought it was interesting...

Quote Originally Posted by wfocharlie View Post
    It does seem a little silly to me to nymph fish off the bow of a boat in a bobber dogging fashion since so much of the appeal of fly fishing to me is the casting presentation but I wouldn't give anyone a hard time about it if thats what they wanted to do it. Well maybe I would a little bit
    See for me it's all about fighting the fish with a fly rod instead of having an extended handle and more than a 1:1 reel. I love how much more powerful any fish feels. I've even considered spooling up only mono and sorted out how to hook a sturgeon.

Quote Originally Posted by Dillon View Post
    My reason for making this post was to point out that Bill, a steelhead fly fishing pioneer in this area, utilized both swinging and nymphing as 2 of his 8-9 techniques. The wet fly swing is the easiest to learn and very productive especially with the 2 handed rods, shooting heads, and high density sink tips most commonly used today. I believe Bill's favored presentations were waking and skating dry flies. Anyway, I just thought it was interesting...
    Thanks for bringing it here Dillon, it's nice to see a shift in subject from time to time and now that we have more members it's actually interesting to see each person's point of view.

Post some photos from your montana trip when you get back Jay.

Good point Gabe. I never thought of the joy of fighting the fish on the fly rod. Probably cause I have mostly used the big two hander instead of a single hander at least for powerfull fish like steelhead.