Thread: Bucket Mouths on the fly

1. Default Bucket Mouths on the fly

I went out today with one of my old fishing partners I haven't fished with for a few years. He's not much of a salmon/steelhead plunker. So we decided to hit up my friends grandpas lake. I thought it would be fun to take the fly pole along with my ultra light. I had some poppers and a couple wolly buggers in my in my box. I took Abe up there a few weeks ago but we left skunked still a little early then I think. Today was a totally different story! I landed 23 and my buddy landed 15 or so. None were too aweful big. The biggest being 1/2 pound to a pound. I KNOW there are lunkers in there just got to find them. We only focused on one corner of the lake. Since they kept biting. But it was my first time fly fishing for them and man was it fun chugging those little poppers to entice a top water strike! The wooly produced good as well. Fun day to say the least. Next time maybe one of the hogs!!! Here's a couple Pics:-)
    Another FRICKIN snag nope nope nope FISH ON!

Never caught bass on the fly.... Bet it would be a real hoot! Gunna have to add that one to the bucket list.
    -Ken

Two fish swim into a concrete wall... One looks to the other and says " Dam!"

I would like to give the john day a shot for smallmouths this summer. Bass fishing as a kid on the east coast is what started the whole fishing thing for me.

4. Default

Definitely add it to your list! And Charlie I bet the John day would be EPIC for small mouths! Abe always talks about how awesome it is. I would take the fly rod for sure after yesterday. I as well did alot of bassin when I was younger never really got into salmon steelhead until high school.
    Another FRICKIN snag nope nope nope FISH ON!

5. Default

It's something I've wanted to try for a while as well. Anyonw who watches this video and dosn't suddenly have the disre to give a shot must be out of their minds. One of the coolest videos I've seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlpVVKvrnu0&noredirect=1

Just saw this. Really cool. Some awesome surface takes. Fishing can't really be much more fun than that.

That's cool to be catching bass on the surface this time of year. I've been fishing an OFC pond this week for trout. The surface temp is a hair over 43 degrees. The chironomids are hatching and the recent stockers are crusin' and keying on them. Fishing was pretty good today until a big ole otter showed up. Those fish quit eating and skidaddled in a hurry...