Thread: ODFW Family Fishing Day - July 8th @ Lhuuke Illahee Fish Hatchery (Siletz, OR)

Blog Entries

Default ODFW Family Fishing Day - July 8th @ Lhuuke Illahee Fish Hatchery (Siletz, OR)

Hi folks,

come join the ODFW for a day of family fishing fun! Rods and gear provided, ages 2 through 17. Those 14 and over must have their juvenile license.

I know this is probably out of the way for the majority of you, but I'm trying to help promote this event and I figured it would be good to throw this up here for any who are interested. If you have any questions please feel free to ask!

Thanks for looking, hope to see some of you there! (Yes, I will be helping the youngsters out )

~Teddy
    Teddy Wise - Senior Moderator, NWFI

http://therealwiseone.blogspot.com/

OSU Class of 2013 - Go Beavs
    B.S. in Fisheries and Wildlife Sciences
    Fisheries Technician with WDFW

"The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope." ~ John Buchan

Death is Certain - Fishing is Not

What's the deal with that hatchery? I know they used to raise coho in it, and rumor had it a few years ago that they were going to fire it back up but only to the tune of a few thousand coho smolt a year. They must be raising some trout there?

I hope you really have a great summer with this internship. You're gonna get to spend alot of time on the Siletz and I'm sure you'll learn a bunch about it. I really do think it's one of the most special rivers in the state. Cant wait to pick your brain about different things.

Blog Entries

GW, the hatchery indeed used to be a coho hatchery originally owned and operated by ODFW. They then sold it to the Siletz Indian tribe, and they ran it for a while. Then it was shut down, and they were going to fire it back up at one point but haven't done so. I do believe that trout are raised there but I'm not a hundred percent sure. I will certainly know a bit more about it after I help run the event

The Siletz is a very beautiful river and I feel very fortunate to have the opportunity to work the trap on it. As soon as I get my first real day off I plan on spending some significant time up there for sure.
    Teddy Wise - Senior Moderator, NWFI

http://therealwiseone.blogspot.com/

OSU Class of 2013 - Go Beavs
    B.S. in Fisheries and Wildlife Sciences
    Fisheries Technician with WDFW

"The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope." ~ John Buchan

Death is Certain - Fishing is Not