Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: skating flies for summer steel

Default skating flies for summer steel

This looked like good info so I thought I would post it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...l2OFU5Ncs&NR=1

That had some great tips. My goal is to skate up a fish this summer. I know it won't be easy but I don't mind a challenge. We should get out again soon, the drift boat has been replaced by a raft so you may see me above Oxbow more

I think those were good tips for any kind of swinging. We should do a Mac's to the mouth float this summer.

Quote Originally Posted by wfocharlie View Post
    I think those were good tips for any kind of swinging. We should do a Mac's to the mouth float this summer.
    Is that float doable in a toon? Never been below shearars in a boat before.

Ed Fast Guest

I know somebody that skated up a summer run two weeks ago. Hopefully he'll post about it.

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by lastcast View Post
    Is that float doable in a toon? Never been below shearars in a boat before.
    There are a half dozen or so class 3 rapids. Not an easy run but not super hard. Just depends on your experience level. The rapids are far apart with a lot of easy water in between. If you are in maupin take a look at wapanita, boxcar and oaksprings rapids to get some idea of what you are up against.

I was a guide on the D, Whitehorse to Oak springs for many yrs. I didn't fish then and never ventured up or down river. Missed out big time!!!

So a couple of weeks ago I took advantage of the dreary weather and decided to break out the ascot and fly rod. I headed out to one of my favorite little rivers, which just happens to receive a modest plant of hatchery summer runs. I felt that the low and clear water combined with the overcast conditions might give me a chance to bring a fish to the top.

At 8am I descended upon the lower river, working a ska-hopper variation across all available holding water regardless of whether it would be considered ideal for a swinging presentation. After several hours my efforts had not produced the desired result so I decided to try a different section of river. Working quickly down through a fast riffled run I observed a dark shadow following my fly. However as my fly swung into the shallow water below me, the shadow disappeared. Slightly perturbed and unsure exactly what had happened, I moved back up the run and began working down again. This time there was no response to my repeated presentations, so I continued working down river.

At the next hole down, the river turned a slight corner and deepened. The majority of the current flowed through a five foot wide swath of water along the far bank approximately six feet deep, while creating a relatively slack pool at my feet. I began working down, casting my fly to the far bank where it would race across the fast water and then stall out in the slack pool, at which point I would allow it to linger for a moment before recasting. About halfway down, as I recast I observed a large boil several feet behind my fly. More confident this time that what I had seen was indeed a fish, I moved back up the run and began working down again. I reached the bottom of the run and was unable to observe any response. Pondering the situation for a moment, I decided that it might be worth my time to work through this piece of water with a different pattern. I tied on a dark brown moose hair fly and began once again from the top. This time about a half dozen casts down, as my fly raced across the fast water a fish came to the top, grabbed my fly, and immediately began running and jumping downstream. Aided by my heavy leader, light action rod and the drag of the fly line: the slightly colored hatchery buck came to the bank after a brief battle, despite my failure to control the reel. I continued to fish for several more hours to no avail, despite spotting a couple of fish.

(Hatchery fish brought to bank and retained)

Although I don't believe that fly fishing will become my primary method of pursuing Steelhead anytime soon, it sure can be a lot of fun.
    Last edited by supertrout; 07-13-2012 at 01:47 AM.
    Only Green!
    "Enjoyment should come from the pursuit of your quarry, not the aqquisition of dead fish." -Jed Davis

wow that is a big mess of the reel! Nice that you kept at it instead of changing methods.

Awesome, and on a dry fly to boot. The lack of fighting butt makes me think that rod is a 5 wt. That would be a pretty good battle.