Thread: Bammmmmboo

Default Bammmmmboo (update)

My lovely wife was kind enough to surprise me with an antique bamboo fly rod for fathers day. I decided to forego steel and go throw some old wood tomorrow searching for trout. Never fished a bamboo, and am guessing at the line wt to use on it so hopefully, I'll post up a nice little report on it. Excited

Well, we sprung a leak, (bad one) on the main water to the house so I started out my vacation of lots of fishing without the lots of fishing. After the leak guy found the leak I dug up the neighbors yard. Water off, leak located, family off to Dad's, I decided I needed a break. No steel this week for me now, but I took the new bamboo out and tested it. Me likey! It has a feel a lot like my old fiberglass rod, but more classy. I think even more line control. Nice and slow gets the job done.

I threw a DT 5 wt on, and a Medalist 1954 1/2 reel. I'm looking for something even more appropriate, but this is what I had for now. Found some water, and got to work.

Water was sweet, but not many bugs out today. I was able to get a few on the surface, but most took just subsurface. Tried a few cripple patterns and all worked. Most were like this, some larger some smaller.

Hopefully I'll get over the the Met later this month and put some real bend in the rod. Until then, back to leak repair. (I had to bail on summers and flymaster. I don't know if I like home ownership when this stuff happens.)
    Last edited by lastcast; 07-05-2012 at 10:25 PM. Reason: Update

Have you ever seen the fish whispering show? He is guru of bamboo.

I haven't. Is it online at all?

Nice rod. Sometimes casting a slow and mushy rod just feels nice. The load seems to go forever. A little rough on the arm though.
    The older I get the better I was

Quote Originally Posted by OnTheFly View Post
    Nice rod. Sometimes casting a slow and mushy rod just feels nice. The load seems to go forever. A little rough on the arm though.
    It takes some getting used to after all our crazy fast rod advances. But I love dry fly fishing so much, this was a very nice change.

Quote Originally Posted by lastcast View Post
    I haven't. Is it online at all?
    Don't know about online. I think its one of those comcast sports network shows.

great rod, I think the medalist is probably period correct and is one of the few less expensive reels that will help fight the tip heaviness of that rod, if you really need a newer reel your going to have to go pretty expensive to get the weight your gonna want in the grip, but you can fight that by using leadcore as your primary backing and just 30 yrds or so of dacron. Ive always liked the wulff triangle tapers on soft rods like bamboo and glass, avoid long bellys they become sloppy and don't carry well. A wulff ambush line in a 4 wt would probably be a sweet line for that rod on the met, longer casts can be tip casted, and apposed to trying to carry 40 ft of line you can tip cast the 20 ft head and shoot the rest... soft rods perform very well with the ambush heads... and roll cast unbelievably- Good luck! I would love to vintage fish with you sometime-

The only issue with the Ambush line is you can't mend for sheet. When the mend gets down that running line to the head, its like it hit a wall. I love my ambush line for fishing heavy stuff up close but at a longer than 40ft range, you're much more limited in what you can do other than swing.

Quote Originally Posted by halibuthitman View Post
    great rod, I think the medalist is probably period correct and is one of the few less expensive reels that will help fight the tip heaviness of that rod, if you really need a newer reel your going to have to go pretty expensive to get the weight your gonna want in the grip, but you can fight that by using leadcore as your primary backing and just 30 yrds or so of dacron. Ive always liked the wulff triangle tapers on soft rods like bamboo and glass, avoid long bellys they become sloppy and don't carry well. A wulff ambush line in a 4 wt would probably be a sweet line for that rod on the met, longer casts can be tip casted, and apposed to trying to carry 40 ft of line you can tip cast the 20 ft head and shoot the rest... soft rods perform very well with the ambush heads... and roll cast unbelievably- Good luck! I would love to vintage fish with you sometime-
    Thanks for the info! I'll give that stuff a try sometime. Yes lets fish, I want to discuss Scott rods with you also as I see you have an M series if I remember correct. Its all I can do not to go crazy and get one of their rods.