Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: It's That Time Again

Default It's That Time Again

Finally it's time for the annual AK camping trip, just over a week away. This years trip is 7/27 - 8/20 and I need to start packing soon.
    The king runs crashed hard this year and ADF&G had to shut down a lot of fisheries including commercials. The sockeye are so thick without the nets in it will most likely go to a 12 fish limit next week. The sonar counts for the Kenai on Sunday was 120,000 and Monday was 200,000 (estimated at 10,000 an hour), perdictions have the run pushing the 4,000,000 mark. Usually the socks average 4 - 8 pounds but this year they are 7 - 12 with some pushing 15lbs.
    With all the king fishin shut down many of the creeks got more fish then last year so we're expecting epic trout fishin.
    It is also a pink year with a gazillion of those on the way in case we get bored.

4 million? Stupid fish! Shoo some over here!

I know you don't post a lot of pics, but since its Alaska, and some of us may not make it up anytime soon feel free to put some up to tide us over. Good luck up there and have fun.

Eh, too busy fishing, taking pictures while in Alaska just takes away from fishing time.

Have fun up there Mike, we need to get together and beat up on some searuns sometime.

I don't doubt that, I really envy those who get to run up there fish or no fish.

Quote Originally Posted by lastcast View Post
    I don't doubt that, I really envy those who get to run up there fish or no fish.
    Days like up there can happen down here and days like down here can happen up there. There were a lot of ground pounders that were shocked to know that we got our limits of fish each day.

I was just there.... unbelievable... you couldn't even rainbow fish in the Russian or quartz creek, sockeye were stacked 10 deep. I bet I had to re-rig 50 times by noon. Bummer about the kings though, this is the first year I didn't get a king out of the anchor. Have fun, i,ll be back at coopers landing on the 8th of august.. maybe i,ll see you around-

Dave, we do take some pics but not as many as we should (last years are still stuck in the camera we brought).

Gabe, we can definitely hit the sea runs in September.

Brad, were the socks already in Quartz? Our camp will be set up while you're there so stop by. We camp on crescent ck on Quartz ck road and drive a red Subaru wagon.

Right on Mike! Have a blast up there!

I don't know why it's triggered in me but I'm aching to get out and get some trout on the fly rod.

The socks were thicker in the Russian, due to it having an early run and late run.. but quartz is starting to get thick... about 2 weeks sooner than ive seen it in the past, and the Dolly's are Fat.. the early season before the socks got thick I had some of the largest and most consistent Rainbow fishing in years on the upper Russian.. I certainly will stop by at some point... crecent creek, ive never managed a grayling out of that place, you ever get one? Great camping spot for night time bear viewing!