Thread: Winter Run Teaser

Default Winter Run Teaser

Just thought that I would post up a spur of the moment tutorial on a fairly simple winter steelhead jig tp get the juices flowing....materials and tools are all readily avilable and rather cheep. (Pease excuse the poor lighting and slightly blurred photo's, all of this was on a whim)

Tools are as follows: decent vise, sharp fine point scisors, bobbin and danville 3/0 monocord in black, and a whip finisher.

DSCN2070 by mkalaneare, on Flickr

Materials include: high quality jig head (not shown), 2 moderatly long fibered schallapen feathers, Hareline Dubbin UV Polar Chennille in pink, and Pearlescent Krystal Flash.

DSCN2069 by mkalaneare, on Flickr
    Begin by starting your thread at the hook point:

DSCN2072 by mkalaneare, on Flickr
    Then I like to cut 6 full strands of pearlescent krystal flash (from the zip tie down), cut them in half and tie them in:

DSCN2074 by mkalaneare, on Flickr
    Next fold the forward facing strands backward and tie down, this also serves to lock the material into place:

DSCN2076 by mkalaneare, on Flickr
    Follow this by cutting about a 3 inch length of pink uv polar chennille and tying it in by its braided core:

DSCN2078 by mkalaneare, on Flickr
    Warp this forward to a point about a quarter inch back from the lead head and tie off:

DSCN2079 by mkalaneare, on Flickr
    Now take both of your schlappen feathers and trim the quills at the point where they thicken dramatically or the point at which when bent the quill is brittle and breaks and remove about a sixteenth inch of feather fibers:

DSCN2081 by mkalaneare, on Flickr
    Tie the fears on to the hook shank in tandem with the quill points on your side of the hook shank:

DSCN2083 by mkalaneare, on Flickr
    Wrap both fearths away from you, keeping both quills tigh to the hook shank and packing your wraps right next to each other. This is the step that takes the most practice as it's easy to loose tension on one quill over the other. Once you reach the jig head make two more full wraps and pull tightly enough to pack in those extra wraps without breaking your feathers and tie off:

DSCN2087 by mkalaneare, on Flickr
    Using your scisors trim the quills tight and neat and build a night tight collar of thread:

DSCN2100 by mkalaneare, on Flickr
    Add three half hitches and snug them down, cut your thread and fluff up your finished jig:

DSCN2100 by mkalaneare, on Flickr

Now hit the vise and crank some out. This is a proven pattern that I assaulted the local creeks with last year and I hope you find success with it as well. Hopefully all you UV junkies are satisfied with my choice of chennille...I just like how buggy it is.

Very nice...It'll get'em

Already has, many times over...and over.

Nicely done! Thanks for sharing.

Very Nice!
    Thanks for sharing.
    I've been wanting to mix some jig making into my "arts and crafts" time.
    Endeavor To Persevere

Nice! Thank You for sharing! I need to work on my jig tying for sure I will try this pattern, you make it look easy but I'm sure I'll struggle with the stupid feathers! I suck at that part.