Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Winter Steelhead Fly

Adding weight to a fly is simply a way to make it sink. Other ways are to use a sinking flyline, or add weight to the leader. Nymphs and beads or egg flies are usually dead drifted and streamers are usually fished with a wet fly swing.

Default sqidro

I can't get the photo of it but Scott Howell's squidro fly is going to become a obsession of mine to tie in the masses.It has rubber legs and looks absolutely incredible in the water and not all that hard to tie.Marc Bachmann's shop carries the series of them.

Here is a squidro I tied. I only started fly fishing last year so I'm no traditionalist but I think I still prefer feathers for tying and movement in the water. I do like the squidros and fish them from time to time but haven't had a fish go for one yet although I'm sure they would. There is a youtube video for them but I didn't want to link it because it has a bunch of non sponser adds on it.

Blog Entries

I was at Katmai when Scott, and some guy were talking about a rubber legged fly used for Carp in this guy's home state. I think he was from Wyoming. But i believe that was the evolution of his OG Squidro(rubber intruder) pattern. About 3 years later I was fishing as a client on the Kanektok, with this angry lady guide, and they were cramming Leopard 'bows on 'em. The transition didn't take long, but it is a great pattern. Easy to tie, and usually durable too!

Funny story... I snuck a hot shot out on my fly rod while she(angry lady guide) wasnt lookin, and I nailed a big, beautiful King... And she actually got mad. Really mad, and started cursing my 'technique' in front of a guy from Kirkland, WA(now a full time lower river guide for them) that was with us. He told her she was done with us, and we hitch hiked back to camp in Samchez's boat. Which was already full of fish, and people! Hahaha!

The squidro brings back memories of Quinhagak for some reason. Even tho it is primarily a steelhead pattern, I just remember the Carp Killer saying how everything that strikes a fly, would kill rubber legs as well. Guess he was right!

Nice tie Charlie! Very nice!
    Dinger Jigs
    Lamiglas
    Costa Del Mar

Hostess OG Pro-Staff
    B-Squad!
    Yes, they eat eggs... No. You're WRONG!!!

Here's my version of a squidro tube fly with a glo yarn and bead trailer...
    Last edited by Dillon; 12-04-2012 at 04:49 PM.

Blog Entries

I dig it Jay. What kind of tubes are you using if ya dont mind me asking.
    Dinger Jigs
    Lamiglas
    Costa Del Mar

Hostess OG Pro-Staff
    B-Squad!
    Yes, they eat eggs... No. You're WRONG!!!

Thanks Ian. I use Frodin tubes in the Guideline FITS system. I use a large diameter tube for the body and slide a smaller tube inside for the head. I bind them with thread and add a dab of zap a gap.

Tied this up tonight maybe I will see how she hunts tomorrow...

Quote Originally Posted by Dillon View Post
    Tied this up tonight maybe I will see how she hunts tomorrow...
    O yeah, that's a killer there.