Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Winter Steelhead Fly

Awesome flies guys! I'm ashamed of my flies now!

Thats what I was just thinking Waco. What have I got myself into with the fly swap. Nothing like learning to swim in the deep end though

You tube is your friend for tying demos. Just about everything is on there if you know the name of the pattern.

Or just experiement. Its just tying material around a hook. Tie anything to get better, just cut it off if it looks funky and start over. Remember art class and the color wheel? Grab one and use it to tie up some cool steelhead flies. That's basically all these so called guru's do. Try diff. materials and you'll come up with a good fly. Don't over think steelhead, they put ANYTHING in their mouths. I think Arctic mentioned they are like kids, who knows why they put some things in their mouth, but they do!!!

Blog Entries

This is true! Steelhead are 'grabby' lil muffers, and since they lack arms/hands to get their ADD on... they use their mouth.

It doesnt need to look 'pretty' to catch a fish. It only needs to look 'pretty' to catch the anglers.
    Dinger Jigs
    Lamiglas
    Costa Del Mar

Hostess OG Pro-Staff
    B-Squad!
    Yes, they eat eggs... No. You're WRONG!!!

I work with dogs for a living and I see lots of similarities between them and steelhead. They are both predators. I hear people say, "Why would a fish chase something blue? Its doesn't look like anything they eat." Dogs chase tennis balls and frisbees and that is not like anything they eat either. Cats do the same thing as well. I believe predators like to attack things that move. Its in their genes. People have caught steelhead on a piece of yarn for years. You don't need a fancy fly at all. Watching videos will give you the basic techniques to tie the things you want to create. I never copy a fly completely. Its fun to come up with your own creative ideas because then you feel like you did something that made a difference even though it probably didn't.

It was fun creating this critter this evening. I melt the end of the plastic tube with a flame. It was tied too close to the end of the tube so it was kinda of scary.

I would eat that if I were a fish!

One good material to try next time dillon, is silver pheasant tail. Used some today on a fly and it is sweet. Puffs out in the water, I used the undyed, and the white just pops.

Quote Originally Posted by lastcast View Post
    One good material to try next time dillon, is silver pheasant tail. Used some today on a fly and it is sweet. Puffs out in the water, I used the undyed, and the white just pops.
    Sounds good, I'd like to see it, can you post a pic?