Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Winter Steelhead Fly

Default Winter Steelhead Fly

I started tying some Winter Steelhead Flies yesterday. This is one of my favorites that has been evolving since last year. Let's see what you all are tying up.

Blog Entries

I hung up a couple Silvers on that fly from last year! Nice work!
    Dinger Jigs
    Lamiglas
    Costa Del Mar

Hostess OG Pro-Staff
    B-Squad!
    Yes, they eat eggs... No. You're WRONG!!!

Thanks Ian.
    Click on the image to see how it swims.

Awesome fly man, I love flies that imitate shrimp-like creatures. I have been tying a lot of reverse marabou patterns for this winter but haven't fished them yet. My go-to fly is the Moal but tied without the hide to really lighten them up. Man I can't wait for winter steelhead!

Those ties look good. The reverse marabou is a good idea to create a larger profile. NW Fly Outfitters has some died opossum that looks good. The hide is lighter than rabbit. What kind of wire is that? I saw an idea for using a crochet hook for tying tubes. That book is a good read...

They all look nice and huge. I'm trying to get off the bobber...er strike indicator and into streamers but I'm stuck without the tools. I have a 6' 3wt and a 9' 10wt with a 350 grain head....I really really need a 5wt. because anything larger than a grain of rice messes with the 3wt flight. Just kidding, it's not that bad....two grains of rice.

I've just been tying up the jigs for the swap but love looking at the wonderful patterns you guys come up with. This one I found on the Sandy has always been one of my favorites.

7. Default

Winter steelhead love a double rig with nymph and bead. Dead drift with a fly rod is pretty deadly!

Here's a question that will show my ignorance: Does a "streamer" always have a weighted head...as opposed to a fly, with no added weight?
    "Carpe Pisces"

Blog Entries

Nope, streamers do not have to be weighted to be considered streamers. In fact I feel like most streamers don't have weighted heads?
    Teddy Wise - Senior Moderator, NWFI

http://therealwiseone.blogspot.com/

OSU Class of 2013 - Go Beavs
    B.S. in Fisheries and Wildlife Sciences
    Fisheries Technician with WDFW

"The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope." ~ John Buchan

Death is Certain - Fishing is Not

I could be wrong but I think it's just a word choice.