Thread: Spoon Rig

Default Spoon Rig

so i am getting ready to start putting some spoons together and or changing out trebles on old spoons. What i want to know is.

Do any off you add a 2nd split ring to where you tie on at?

Blog Entries

No. I dont anyways. Also, I always face my hook point 'down' or towards the cup side of the spoon tho. Seems to help the hookup ratio...

Spinners and spoons do not require a swivel, or second split ring on the top of the lure. Lots of folks put them on for personal preference...They are not supposed to turn over on themselves when you run them correctly. Spoons are supposed to wobble, and the only thing that turns over on a spinner is the blade, not the entire lure. I just like to have direct connection to my hardware, and a swivel, or extra split ring takes away from that 'direct connection' I enjoy having. Again, its all personal preference, and a spoon will function well if you add a second split ring.
    Dinger Jigs
    Lamiglas
    Costa Del Mar

Hostess OG Pro-Staff
    B-Squad!
    Yes, they eat eggs... No. You're WRONG!!!

with the spinners i can see the direct connect as its a smooth opening to tie the line on, but with spoons it seems like the edge will wear/break the line compared to attaching them with a swivel.

On spoons I use a swivel and a duo-lock so I can switch em out without re-tying. I switch between 2/3oz and 2/5th oz quite a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by ryank View Post
    On spoons I use a swivel and a duo-lock so I can switch em out without re-tying. I switch between 2/3oz and 2/5th oz quite a bit.

that is what i do as i find myself switching finish and colors about every 20-30 mins trying to entice a strike, as i am still getting the old skunkage hunting for the rare 1's.

I have one rod that I do all my spoon fishing with. I have a small High quality barrell swivel tied to the leader. I have split rings on all of my spoons. when I want to change I just slide the swivel out of the ring and onto the ring of the new spoon I want to fish. Saves cutting leaders and keeps a lower profile.