Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sand River in May

Ed Fast Guest

May and June, the summers and springers are fresh, but the water is cold and you wont get one on a skated fly, so you need to fish them deep. You can "nymph" fish or swing flies effectively. Egg, prawn, and leach patterns are good. One of the most effective baits is a marabou jig, which is just a marabou spider or "spey" fly tied on a jig head, so ....
    No need to get fancy. Also, do you have a spey rod?

Ed

Ed Fast Guest

May and June, the summers and springers are fresh, but the water is cold and you wont get one on a skated fly, so you need to fish them deep. You can "nymph" fish or swing flies effectively. Egg, prawn, and leach patterns are good. One of the most effective baits is a marabou jig, which is just a marabou spider or "spey" fly tied on a jig head, so ....
    No need to get fancy. Also, do you have a spey rod?

Ed

3. Default

Hi Ed,

Thanks for the tips. I curently fish mostly two handed. I have a CND Expert 15' 9/10 weight and a CND Expert 13' 6/7 weight. We're going to be down there from the May 15th-20th for the Sandy River Spey Clave. I'd like to talk a bit more about possibly booking a trip with you. I'll send you a PM.

Cheers,

Scott.

4. Default

Ryan,

Thanks for the video, pretty impressive stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by ryank View Post
    I don't flyfish, but it seems like most of the water I usually hook mine out of would be fairly hard to get one to rise for a fly. I relly don't know for sure though. Someone else here will know better than I do.

If you want to skate flies, you need to come back in September or October and fish the Deschutes! Or the North Umpqua.

Here's a N Umpqua video shot by forum owner ChinookSSSF.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=se67OcZEHRY

5. Default

Just wanted to again so thanks to everyone for pointing me in Ed's direction. We're leaving Thursday for our trip and will be down there for 5 days. Unfortunately Ed was already booked, but he did put us in touch with a friend of his. So we will be floating the upper Sandy by the looks of it.

Very excited, can hardly wait. I'll post a report when we return.

Cheers,

Scott.

Let us know how your trip goes! Good luck.