Thread: next weekend

Blog Entries

Amazing video! Thanks for sharing.

That's on my 2013 list! Time to tie up the stimulators!
    Teddy Wise - Senior Moderator, NWFI

http://therealwiseone.blogspot.com/

OSU Class of 2013 - Go Beavs
    B.S. in Fisheries and Wildlife Sciences
    Fisheries Technician with WDFW

"The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope." ~ John Buchan

Death is Certain - Fishing is Not

I have a couple new patterns should work well for the big bugs. Also I'm going to try my go to dry fly and see how it performs for the pale evening dun hatch on the D. The stimi are ok, but I almost always find that custom tied flies work better than someone elses patterns. All my stimulators end up with completely different colors, materials that I try to see if they catch more fish. Probably cause they first tie a custom fly, then it gets mass produced to fishermen and looses its buggy look so they will buy it. I tie all my fishing flies ugly on purpose, my display flies I tie neat. Ugly = buggly and the fish love that! One example is the norm wood special. To me it looks a lot more raggedy and buggy with the calf tail wing than the stimis with the deer hair wings. And it is fishy.
    http://www.flyfishusa.com/flies/golden-stone.htm
    Scroll down to the norm woods in this link and take a look at how some of them end up.

I was in the Warm Springs to Trout Creek area this past weekend. Was told by a two different guides that the hatch is over.

the bugs are still all over the place but the fish are not keyed in on them any more.
    Sam Wurdinger
    NW Steelheaders - Molalla Chapter

That's alright. They are trout, they'll look up.

Blog Entries

Late into the bug hatch, I find that salmonfly egg imitations are killer when they aren't keyed in on bugs... Only thing I've actually ever used were mini oakies colored black with a sharpie. Haven't figured out what to use for a black, bug egg "fly"
    Dinger Jigs
    Lamiglas
    Costa Del Mar

Hostess OG Pro-Staff
    B-Squad!
    Yes, they eat eggs... No. You're WRONG!!!

Are you saying a fly with the eggs on the butt, steak and eggs persay, or just simply a non-fly egg pattern? I've had good success with a stonefly with egg pattern, but never thought just eggs. I guess the ball just drops off when they hit the water sometimes. Last fall on the Met, they were slamming the female stones, and passing the males. Anything with a dark butt they'd hit, hard. Was fun.

Blog Entries

No, I was talkin about a black egg cluster imitation. I have had days out there where every bug was droppin berries in flight it seemed! Could not buy a bite on stone steak n eggs, but noticed the trout comin up off the deck to eat the eggs in the surface film or right under a little chop. And I'm super ghetto, so I just use black oakies. You should see the look on other people's faces when you are trying to cast an oakies with a bb split shot attached right above to help sink it! Also, I tend to feel the need to add a couple more someplace up the leader because, even the micro oakies will prolly float a #7 split shot. Glorious, no... Effective, yes!
    Dinger Jigs
    Lamiglas
    Costa Del Mar

Hostess OG Pro-Staff
    B-Squad!
    Yes, they eat eggs... No. You're WRONG!!!

There are still fish willing to rise in hope of one more big bug. This years hatch brought some great fish to hand.