Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ivan Gottem the Alaskan fish slayer

Default Ivan Gottem the Alaskan fish slayer

This years 26 day trip was a blast again this year. We had a couple friends join us for 10 days in the middle of the trip, Ali (melovetrout) was one of them.

The day Ali arrived we met him in Kenai and headed for the camp high in the hills. He was ready to fish asap so we went to Quartz creek for Dolly Varden and Rainbows. Within the first ten minutes he had a 22"er and a couple 20s, with every hookup he would yell " I gottem ". The rest of that afternoon all 3 of us landed over 100 fish each, doubles and triples were the norm.
    A few days later my brother and I were floating the Kenai for bows with a friend (Ben) and when we would catch a nice one Ben would take a pic with his phone and send it to Hallibithitman (Brad). After a couple pics Brad replied back "Hows Ivan doing?". We didn't know who Ivan was until we figured out he ment Ali. So we started calling Ali Ivan instead and then on the river when he kept saying "I gottem" we canged it to Ivan Gottem.

I still don't have a computer at home so I will add more stories when I'm at work.

Now that's funny! I'm heading up next year, but will only make it to Ketchikan for my first trip. One week with the wife, but she says I can fish so hoping there's something in that area to chase.

I saw some of Ivan's pics, looked like you guys did very well again. Where do you guys stay when you are up there?

Im truly sorry Ali for messing up your name, Im bad with names, but on a good note.. I can count, if its any consolation in my circle of friends you are a nobody until we nickname you, its our version of acceptance, ivan gottem is a pretty tame one, heres some examples of nicknames we have given some of my closest pals.. lunchbox, big gay, mudflap, little gay, fender ( yes, as in the rubber thing that goes between the boat and the dock) bogart, the cryin hawiian, oarlock, the big show, and the little unit... Ivan Gottems not so bad? wish I would have got the chance to fish with you guys this year-

Quote Originally Posted by Gregoryalln854 View Post
    I saw some of Ivan's pics, looked like you guys did very well again. Where do you guys stay when you are up there?
    Our accommodations are top notch while in the last frontier. We stay in tents on an island in the middle of a creek filled with salmon in the heart of bear country. It keeps the trip very cheep when you don't have to pay for lodging plus you can catch fish 30 feet from the fire pit.

Bears leave you alone? That sounds like top top notch. I've been throwing a tent on the D and it is just perfect.

Still in Istanbul. Will post more when I get back home...

Quote Originally Posted by lastcast View Post
    Bears leave you alone? That sounds like top top notch. I've been throwing a tent on the D and it is just perfect.
    We camp smart so the bears have no reason to mess with us. We hear them outside the tents at night but that's because we camp on their trail so they still walk through. When we cooked ribeye steaks we eat them away from camp to keep the smell away.

Beautiful pics Ali!
    Mike, I've done some pretty crazy things but I don't know if I could handle that, it would be fun to try though. The plus side would be being that close to the creek, it would give me an easy excuse if I happened to wet my pants.