Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you cook YOUR salmon and steelhead? Recipes and Techniques

I think that thread is on a different site, circa 2009
    "Chuck Norris talks in the fourth person"

Recently Tracy found a recipe for teriyaki salmon with siracha and mayo it was so yummy.
    fishing is a family thing and crabbing and camping and...

^^^ you should post that recipe. Sounds good!
    NW Steelheaders - Sandy River Chapter

I preheat my BBQ to 400-500 degrees. While that's heating I cut my fillet into serving size pieces, pluck the pin bones with pliers because everyone prefers no bones. I do a small drizzle of olive oil, rub it evenly over the fish. then a decent sprinkling of kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper. Next step is put the fish flesh side down directly on the grill and DO NOT TOUCH IT for 7-9 minutes depending on the thickness. The fish will release from the grill and not stick if you let it sear properly without messing around with it. Once it's done the surface and edges are crispy, seared and delicious, and the flesh is flaky and moist.

I have done the recipe Teri mentioned above with the Shriacha and mayo and it's GOOD! It's my girlfriends favorite way to eat Salmon or Steelhead.

Here's the link:
    http://damndelicious.net/2012/05/30/...a-cream-sauce/

I highly recommend this recipe! It's damn good. We just used Yoshida's and skipped making the teriyaki sauce and it turned out very well.

I prefer my salmon cooked blackened Cajun style with a blue-cheese drizzle that my wife cooks up. The blue cheese pairs fantastically with the Cajun spices. O, and we just did one that was good. Took the head and carcass and broiled it with seasoning, stripped the meat off and shredded it up, then mixed with potatoes and onions to make little salmon potato patties. Yep, tasty!

Quote Originally Posted by lastcast View Post
    I prefer my salmon cooked blackened Cajun style with a blue-cheese drizzle that my wife cooks up. The blue cheese pairs fantastically with the Cajun spices. O, and we just did one that was good. Took the head and carcass and broiled it with seasoning, stripped the meat off and shredded it up, then mixed with potatoes and onions to make little salmon potato patties. Yep, tasty!
    That sounds good! I'd have to keep the head/carcass a secret from my wife when I cooked it up
    "Carpe Pisces"

Thanks for the link Ryan. Sounds really good, gonna have to try it soon.
    NW Steelheaders - Sandy River Chapter

I didn't use the recipe. I made my own teriyaki with brown sugar and soy sauce. You can add a lot of things to it garlic, ginger, orange juice and or peel, lemon or lime juice or peel, you can rub in steak seasoning or lawrey seasoning salt and then place gently in the marinade so you don't wash the rub off but let it sit for about 20 minutes with just the rub so it starts getting the flavor from it also. I them baked it, I like mine medium rare just enough that the meat flakes and may still have a little color variation in the center. The sauce calls for mayo, siracha and condensed milk I left out the milk didn't sound right. I love the sauce on almost everything.
    fishing is a family thing and crabbing and camping and...

I tried this one last night. Worked out pretty good but didn't get the crunchy coating, Next time I'm going to try running the heat up to 500 for less time. (because of my grill)

[QUOTE=ryank;70934]I preheat my BBQ to 400-500 degrees. While that's heating I cut my fillet into serving size pieces, pluck the pin bones with pliers because everyone prefers no bones. I do a small drizzle of olive oil, rub it evenly over the fish. then a decent sprinkling of kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper. Next step is put the fish flesh side down directly on the grill and DO NOT TOUCH IT for 7-9 minutes depending on the thickness. The fish will release from the grill and not stick if you let it sear properly without messing around with it. Once it's done the surface and edges are crispy, seared and delicious, and the flesh is flaky and moist.

Last edited by spactrukn; 06-02-2014 at 10:08 PM.
    -Ken

Two fish swim into a concrete wall... One looks to the other and says " Dam!"

Quote Originally Posted by spactrukn View Post
    I tried this one last night. Worked out pretty good but didn't get the crunchy coating, Next time I'm going to try running the heat up to 500 for less time. (because of my grill)]
    That's the ticket! 500 degrees should get the job done!

Looking at this thread is making me hungry! The blackened cajun style sounds damn good. I will be trying that.