Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you cook YOUR salmon and steelhead? Recipes and Techniques

Blog Entries

Default How do you cook YOUR salmon and steelhead? Recipes and Techniques

After having gotten off to a great start to my fall salmon fishing, I couldn't believe how full my freezer has been getting! As I was looking down the list of some of my favorite ways to cook fish, I realized that its not as diverse as I'd like it. So I thought I'd ask you guys to chime in about some of your favorite ways to cook the fish that you spend so much time chasing!

For me, here are a couple of my favorite ways to cook salmon, especially springers or high-fatty fish (i.e. summer steelhead):

1) Bake it at 325 with just a few ingredients (salt, fresh ground pepper, chopped parsley, lemon wheels, and maybe a little glaze of honey, really can't overdo it when the fish is that fresh but i like as minimal as possible) on a baking sheet with tin foil for 15-20 minutes. I find cooking fish at a lower temperature takes a little longer but allows you to cook the whole fish thoroughly without the chance of burning it / drying it out too quickly. It will come out with a flaky, moist texture, not dry.

2) Grill it on a wine-soaked cedar plank with similar preparation in #1, usually getting 3 big hunks of a fillet on there (skin side down). Coat the fish-side of the cedar plank and the grill with olive oil prior to grilling so it doesn't stick, and have a squirt bottle with water ready just in case the cedar plank catches on fire (rare). Cook on medium-high heat for 15-20 minutes, and keep the lid shut so that you don't lose smoke! The smoke is what really cooks the fish.

3) Salmon burgers! I usually use the meat that I scrape off of the carcass in areas that I miss with the fillet knife to make these. I will go into more detail later about this, but its seriously delicious if you haven't tried it. There are lots of recipes on the web for it.

I've got a few more but I'll save 'em for later.

What are some of your favorite recipes?
    Teddy Wise - Senior Moderator, NWFI

http://therealwiseone.blogspot.com/

OSU Class of 2013 - Go Beavs
    B.S. in Fisheries and Wildlife Sciences
    Fisheries Technician with WDFW

"The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope." ~ John Buchan

Death is Certain - Fishing is Not

2. Default

Great Thread Teddy.

My "go-to" recipe for Steelhead is so easy it's ridiculous. all I do is slather on a healthy coating of Ranch dressing, then an even healthier coating of shredded Parmesan Cheese. Grill it on a tin foil boat for 15-20 and serve.

Another one that's so easy its ridiculous, mix mayo (use Best Foods for this people, not the yellow crap) with Yoshidas marinade, and slather it on. This is excellent with both Salmon and Steelhead.

I had an abundance of URB fillets this year, so while canning it I tried something a little different. I brined up some chunks as though I was going to smoke them (sugar, salt, soy sauce, yadda, yadda, yadda...) then after 12 hours in the bath I stuck them in jars and canned them, -10 pounds at 100 minutes. made a great "salmon fish Sandwich". I bet it would taste good as salmon dip as well, but I couldn't help but snack it straight out of the jar.
    Team B-Squad

I like to put dill and a little coarse sea salt on it then bake it. If I'm doing a whole fish I make a stuffing of crushed saltines sour cream melted butter and lemon zest and juice and then you shove as much as possible in the fish you can also pack it on top of a slab. In general I like to taste the fish rather than a bunch of seasoning so even just plain works for me.
    fishing is a family thing and crabbing and camping and...

Smear whole grain mustard on the belly side of meat. Blend bread crumbs with Parsley, oregano, tarragon, and sage. The crumbs shoud be fine with all the herbs completely blended. Pat this onto the mustard and brown in butter then flip onto skin side and finish in the oven for 5-8 minutes. The fish should be MR-Med with a crunchy herby crust.

Marinate in sliced lemon, salt, parsley, garlic, and chile flake. Remove the marinade. Cover with good olive oil and poach in the oven for about 35 minutes and let cool overnight in the oil. The fish should be cooked but very moist. This makes great snacks on crackers, sandwiches, salads and spreads. The oil can be used multiple times just strain it.

I like to first make a tin foil boat, set the fillet down in the boat. Sprinkle on Garlic Salt. Sprinkle on your favorite Montreal type steak seasoning (I prefer the stuff from the bulk section at Win Co). Finely chop Green Onions and sprinkle over the top. Give it 15-20 min. on the top rack of the grill.
    If your lucky, the green onions will start to char a little bit before the fish is overcooked.
    -Ken

Two fish swim into a concrete wall... One looks to the other and says " Dam!"

Lets resurrect this from the dead!

Tonight is: Ginger, Garlic, salt, and a little drizzle of ginger/orange marmalade over the top.
    "Chuck Norris talks in the fourth person"

A little butter on top, coating of Johnny's seasoning. Cook in oven or traeger. Springers and summers don't need to be wrapped in foil, but for some 'less fatty' fish, I'll completely wrap them in foil and seal it so what fat they do have (and the butter) do not escape. Keeps things moist.
    Sam Wurdinger
    NW Steelheaders - Molalla Chapter

Stuff it in a jar!
    NW Steelheaders - Sandy River Chapter

Marinade in Yoshida's Gourmet Sauce for a night then GRILL with butter so it will not dry out. Serve with Grilled squash or zucchini dipped in Newman's Itallion dressing.

For a more basic home meal. Bake in corning or tin-boat with onion powder, minced onion's, ginger, smoked sea salt, pepper and a dash of cayenne. Make a rub of seasonings, smear it on damp salmon. "bake" No butter needed as the fish oils will keep it moist in the sealed container or tin-boat you use.
    C. Winterwolf ><,> NWFI Community Director <,><

Golden Stone Web Design

One t0 MaNy cArp's 0n tHe braIn "2017"~<)))><

One t0 MaNy cArp's 0n tHe braIn "2016"~<)))><

Fighting over the fish will only serve to divert us from our common goal ><,>

"The more I see the less I know" Anthony Bourdain

Years ago we used to love salmon sprinkled with brown sugar, smothered in shallots (or red onion if that's all that was available) and drizzled with soy sauce.

There was this guy I know who posted a steelhead fettuccine recipe several years ago that is wonderful! Sure wish I could find it...or that he'd post it again.
    "Carpe Pisces"