Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rockfish tips and tricks 101, based on interest 201 may become available.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregoryalln854 View Post
    I found now through April is the best time, the Lings and other rock fish are coming in to spawn
    Your right, it is mid feb. For some reason time is flying and I keep forgetting spring is actually very near.

dang, thanks for the awesome post Alan! I love me some rockfish

Once again Alan you put together a rocking post that make this place great. Glad to see the school work hasn't stopped that! I sooo needed this with having a new boat in the family. Please do post up a second addition, as I can use all the help I can get and Thanks!!

4. Default

it always amazed me how those fish will smack a bare chunk of lead like that. I really like those Point Wilson darts with a purple back, I had an epic day in the San Juan's many years ago landing 5 Chinook in 2 hrs while targeting rockfish. There's nothing like dropping your rod tip then setting up on a ****ed off Pelagic fish or Salmon! good times indeed!
    Team B-Squad

Quote Originally Posted by Shortbus View Post
    From the bank, are you looking for incoming, outgoing or slack tides? Big swings or small swings? When is the best time of year to go?

On the jetties I like the last bit of incoming and high slack, and just into outgoing - so it gives you a nice afternoon fishing and the rest of the day to play 'tourist' with the family.

I like smaller tide sets, but will go on anything that isn't dangerous.

In the spring the lings come close to spawn, in the summer it's easy to get lots of rocks and kelp greenling with some bonus cabezon from time to time.
    "Chuck Norris talks in the fourth person"

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks View Post
    Once again Alan you put together a rocking post that make this place great. Glad to see the school work hasn't stopped that! I sooo needed this with having a new boat in the family. Please do post up a second addition, as I can use all the help I can get and Thanks!!
    Planning on part 2, but will probably concentrate on what to look for on the graph or chart and how to set the boat up on a drift.
    Open to suggestions on what else to include too

Quote Originally Posted by lastcast View Post
    Remember those of us landbound unsea worthy anglers Here's my contribution. I have done really well on rock bass from the jettys in the spring. Start about 1 hr before dark and fish as long as you like into the dark. The buddy is for safety, watch each others back. Lifejacket not a bad idea either. Take a lantern, and a buddy, out on the jetty. No need to go far, and remember to respect the ocean. The lantern will draw in the baitfish which draws in the bass. I use a 7' or so, rod, with a blue/silver rapala (though I bet the color won't matter). I put a small wt about 2' above the rapala to keep the line low as I reel in. Cast in a half arc pattern to cover water, vary reel speed till you find what they will hit. I've gotten fish on every cast for hours on end doing this. They aren't huge fish, but eater size. I still have to figure lings from the jettys!!!
    I'm too cheap for risking the rapala's I mostly use rubber swim baits and curly tails on jig heads off the jetties when it comes to lures