Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Switch rod vs full spey?

Default Switch rod vs full spey?

SO I am seeing that the cheaper spey rods tend to be this shorter 8' to 10' switch type model rod? I see Okuma has one for around $150.00. Can someone please explain to me what this switch rod is and does. Also what is the difference between this and a full length spey rod?

Looking to convert over to spey but I need to make sure I make the most of my first purchase, judging buy the cost of such setups.

Thanks ><,>
    C. Winterwolf ><,> NWFI Community Director <,><

Golden Stone Web Design

One t0 MaNy cArp's 0n tHe braIn "2017"~<)))><

One t0 MaNy cArp's 0n tHe braIn "2016"~<)))><

Fighting over the fish will only serve to divert us from our common goal ><,>

"The more I see the less I know" Anthony Bourdain

Blog Entries

Classic Spey.fishing utilizes a log belly line, and you generally have to pick up 40-70 feet of line during the casting stroke! Which can be interesting in certain places! With the advent of Skagit lines, you use a sustained anchor to help load your rod, and jack the head, and shooting line out there. Spey rods are generally about 12-14 feet in length, and for effective casting... it requires both hands.

Switch rods are slightly shorter than a classic Spey rod. About 11-13 feet in length, but with a light feel, and a lighter, more compact shooting head, and sink tip... And the ability to make traditional, overhand casts with one hand. Switch rods, inherently have more versatility, but they wont match a properly balanced Spey rod, and line. I prefer a 12'10", or 13'8" CF Burkheimer Spey stick, with a 680-720 grain Skagit style shooting head. My switch rod is 11'6" and is loaded with a Skagit Short line. I think its 475 or 525 grains... it feels a little heavy, picking it up, one handed, but it sure can jack the heavy head, and big lead head flies out there!

I believe it is more application specific than anything. If you are fishing medium, to large rivers, a classic Spey rod and Skagit line, are my personal favorite, but.smaller rivers, or in really low water conditions, I like to chuck the Switch stick. For what i think you want to get into, the full Spey is probably the direction you want to travel! Lets talk shop before you buy!
    Dinger Jigs
    Lamiglas
    Costa Del Mar

Hostess OG Pro-Staff
    B-Squad!
    Yes, they eat eggs... No. You're WRONG!!!

Yes that would be great. Thanks for explaining that for me. I kind of figured that would be the idea but was not sure. I have one handed fly rods for almost all weights and have been casting for 25 years so converting over will be fun.
    C. Winterwolf ><,> NWFI Community Director <,><

Golden Stone Web Design

One t0 MaNy cArp's 0n tHe braIn "2017"~<)))><

One t0 MaNy cArp's 0n tHe braIn "2016"~<)))><

Fighting over the fish will only serve to divert us from our common goal ><,>

"The more I see the less I know" Anthony Bourdain

You'd love it. I have two spey rods. I load them with skagits for winters and scandis for summers. I have been thinking about trying a switch rod for small coastal streams but I usually just pack the drift rod and am happy enough. I tend to go for the least expensive rod that will do the work so I only have a cabella's and an okuma. Don't really like the okuma but for $100 bones that cabella's is sweet. Heard good stuff about echo too.

I have a buddy that should, as far as I know, have an inside line/hook up on echo's if you say the word and let me know what it is you want I'll see what I can do if you like.

Blog Entries

You can't buy rods at guide, or pro-staff prices, for others. It will just make it harder for the other pro-staff, and guides to get what they need... at very least, just don't advertise it! Lol! ;-)
    Dinger Jigs
    Lamiglas
    Costa Del Mar

Hostess OG Pro-Staff
    B-Squad!

Ya its kind of a special situation I.E. not prostaff, that's why I was purposely vague. Not even sure he'd do it for someone else but he well might.

Blog Entries

We've just had problems with it this season is all. Tim treats us so well, and to hear that there might be some serious restrictions put on the guide program, is disheartening. Some other guides were taking advantage of the discount on personal gear. It happens with almost all companies that offer those programs, but I'm not happy, if Rajeff isn't happy! Lol! Great company, with a great lineup of single, and two hand rods! And great customer service. If I wasn't so buddy, buddy with Burkheimer, id have a full boatload of Echo's King rods!
    Dinger Jigs
    Lamiglas
    Costa Del Mar

Hostess OG Pro-Staff
    B-Squad!

Switch rods are my weapon of choice, i run the echos in the 4-7 wts and scotts in the magnum calibers. A 4 wt switch loaded with a 6 wt ambush line will throw half a rabbit 65-75 ft, thats why i use them, and they are wicked bead rods.. But the fact is that a switch rod doesnt single hand or 2 hand cast really well.. They simply can do both.. They are basicly roll cast tools. If you wanna drop bombs with big flies at long distances you need a true spey style rod-

Blog Entries

Me like to bomb, whole ostrich... to other bank!

Speaking of bead flingers... If you like to pitch them with a single hand 5, or 6 wt. let's say... I run an 8, 9, and sometimes a 10 wt. floating line. It helps get that cap out there with ease. False casting a bead just ties it in knots. The roll cast rules the bead fling. Might as well make it as easy as possible!
    Dinger Jigs
    Lamiglas
    Costa Del Mar

Hostess OG Pro-Staff
    B-Squad!