Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yarnies More sizes or more colors

Default Yarnies More sizes or more colors

Hey guys I'm trying to simplify all my fishing gear. With winter steelhead here I'm finalizing everything in my vest and getting ready to hit it hard.

I have a question regarding yarnies. Is it better to have 5 different colors of yarnies pre tied or better to have one color tied un size 2,1,and 1/0 hook with the yarnie made bigger or smaller on each hook? I really like a yarnie with white, cerise, and orange.

For low water I have single plastic eggs tied on a #4 hook with and without a small strand of white yarn, and on the flip side I have pink worms, spinners, and bait for the higher water.

Blog Entries

While it's important to have a couple different color schemes to try (so you can at least change it up if one color isn't working on a particular day... but i will say white/cerise/orange is pretty killer), I think having different size yarnies is just as important, if not more so. It all depends on the water conditions. Larger yarnies/hooks for bigger, dirtier water, and smaller yarnies for smaller/clearer water. Doesn't have to be that way (and I'm sure others will speak up and say otherwise), but that's the general rule I go with.

In clear water conditions, try fishing a bead this year. I've had a lot of success over the last couple of years fishing a bead when the water is low and clear and I can't get them to hit anything else. Other then that you sound pretty much dialed!

(Speaking of beads, this is my first Winter of the 2014-2015 season, caught yesterday fishing a bead under a float)
    Teddy Wise - Senior Moderator, NWFI

http://therealwiseone.blogspot.com/

OSU Class of 2013 - Go Beavs
    B.S. in Fisheries and Wildlife Sciences
    Fisheries Technician with WDFW

"The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope." ~ John Buchan

Death is Certain - Fishing is Not

I used to carry several different colors, but after a while I realized it didn't really matter. They do not need to be perfectly round and pretty either. I only use shrimp pink. I do not even bother tying other colors any more. If they won't bite a shrimp pink yarn ball they'll take a pink worm. That has been my experience on the river I fish the most. I went through this same thing a few years back trying to simplify, the reality is winter steelhead are not hard to catch, they are hard to find. If you have a chunk of yarn on a hook and you get it in front of a biter chances are you're in business. Oh yeah, don't forget to have a few spinners and spoons too!

I guess I have to question, why make yarnys when you can just put a short swatch of yarn in your egg loop? You could even add a bead after for contrast, as opposed to a corky. Will look more natural like loose spawn. Doesn't have to be perfect, the idea is suggestive at best.

I also agree that shrimp pink/shell pink is a go to color. Just dont forget to try contrast 2 color combos now and then such as pink and white "Necannicum" peach and pink "Eagle creek" shell pink and red "anything early summer run" black & brown is also a good combo when you need a more natural look for low water or fish that are feeding on naturals such as in the Deschutes. Orange acts as a good contrast color against most any other color. I have done well with orange and chart for spring salmon and chums. Another low water favorite is blue and white. No one throws blue and white, spey casters know this and often use a lot of flashy black & blue steamers. Flash taco is a good example..... Anyways do what you want but keep it simple and it will work just as good.
    C. Winterwolf ><,> NWFI Community Director <,><

Golden Stone Web Design

One t0 MaNy cArp's 0n tHe braIn "2017"~<)))><

One t0 MaNy cArp's 0n tHe braIn "2016"~<)))><

Fighting over the fish will only serve to divert us from our common goal ><,>

"The more I see the less I know" Anthony Bourdain

KISS is a great strategy for all salmonoids. Nothing better than walking a river bank with one rod few jigs, beads and yballz.

I like to tie yarn balls as they flow better than chunk of yarn. Shrimp pink(combo) is great but I do like orange(combo) in water with 2ft or less vis. I float fish these and always add a bead.

I will be trying some twitching for winters this year. Coho and chinook eat them so why not winters.

Kind of like walking the bank in the summer with nothing but a small box of spinners (*_*)/ heheh
    C. Winterwolf ><,> NWFI Community Director <,><

Golden Stone Web Design

One t0 MaNy cArp's 0n tHe braIn "2017"~<)))><

One t0 MaNy cArp's 0n tHe braIn "2016"~<)))><

Fighting over the fish will only serve to divert us from our common goal ><,>

"The more I see the less I know" Anthony Bourdain

I just use a few short pieces of yarn in a baitloop. 9 initial wraps with 10# test line is enough to hold the yarn tight. I just use whatever color combination I feel like at the time. Using the yarn in the loop allows me to quickly add or change colors.
    -Ken

Two fish swim into a concrete wall... One looks to the other and says " Dam!"

One of my favorite things about fishing is you can ask a question and get 100 different answers, and they'll all be right!

9. Default

These little yarn eggs worked better than beads for us last winter. Fish hold on longer too. These are around 8mm in size. I love low, clear water.

I made some about that size as well. Mine are closer to 10mm beads. I tied them up on size 4 hooks. Do you use smaller hooks than that for winters?