Thread: Rockfish fun between storms

Default Rockfish fun between storms

Between stormy days with nasty surf up to 25 foot swells, we noticed back to back days with forecast surf at 8 foot or under. Craving a salt fix, we jumped on it.

The first night looked like this:

Certainly no 8 footers in that mix! Gonna be a great evening and following morning!

Looking outside the next day:

Certainly no 8 footers here either!
    Gonna be good!

Tyra's first on the board with...... uhh...

Seriously though, the schools of rockfish and lings were 20-30 foot thick off the reefs on day one, and day 2 was the same story. Many drifts we couldn't get jigs to the bottom.
    We got our limits of rockfish by 10am both days, spent an extra hour ling fishing the second day. Day one we canned it with one ling cod short so that we could make it to La Maison after filleting and taking showers.
    Day 2 there was an hour or so where the rockfish were ALL over the surface and could have been easily caught with a light weight fly rod - but we had our limits of them by then and were just ling fishing. We caught 20 something lingcod on the second day, and kept our 4.

The surf forecast was off base, as the surf was about half of what they forecast or less (as you can see in the pictures).

We used the fishfield lead fish jigs, the fishfield big eye jigs and the fishfield 9 inch swimbaits on 6 and 8 ounce jig heads (using a 7/0 siwash hook on a swivel for a second hook)

The pearl swimbait with a red tail was the best ling jig of the trip, and the big eye jigs in pink and pink with a blue back were the rockfish champions.

La Maison café/Bakery:
    If you folks are ever in Newport and looking for amazing breakfast or lunch or Pastries - do yourself a favor and check these folks out! Incredible stuff and awesome family owned/operated small business on top of it. Tyra's hands down favorite restaurant.

St Patties corned beef, Potatoes Au Gratin, slaw with bay shrimp, and fresh soda bread:

Their version of a Monte Cristo. Roast turkey in the middle with cheese, Fresh baked bread, topped with ham and cheese:

That thing is a no joke meal for two, but I ordered the steak
    Last edited by Osmosis; 03-21-2016 at 12:35 PM.
    "Chuck Norris talks in the fourth person"

First off, the fishing looks rad, I'd love to join you some day when I'm not a bandit in Oregon anymore. That La Maison place is freaking incredible! Holy crap I love that place. Their cake and cheese cake are no joke either!
    Last edited by ryank; 03-21-2016 at 06:42 PM.

Looks like a great time... I need to hit the salt alot more often.
    -Ken

Two fish swim into a concrete wall... One looks to the other and says " Dam!"

Would be awesome! I'm pulling my dad's fifth wheel over this summer and making a beach bum out of myself for a good long stretch, probably next year also.

Something about the saltwater fishing is super addicting.
    Been a nasty winter so far, I've only gotten on the salt I think 5 times not including these two days since new years.

What a great post...the best part is the Monte Cristo!
    "Carpe Pisces"

Man, I'm not a big ocean guy, but I want to go bottom fishin' now! And I'm definitely checking that place out the next time we're down in Newport, the wife would love it....
    NW Steelheaders - Sandy River Chapter

It's hard to not like that place! We've been going for 3 years now just about every time we go down and I haven't had a bad order yet.

Can't get enough bottom fishing, one of the most fun fisheries we have when the surf plays nice