Thread: Small swells and 2 for 1 combo!

Default Small swells and 2 for 1 combo!

Ran over the hill again today after looking at the surf report.
    Was a good idea, and laid down through the day.
    Very little wind, and the drifts were very slow.

Got my black rockfish limit in 20 or so minutes (letting go a kelp greenling and a few smaller black rockfish), and then went to a reef about 5 more miles south for some ling cod.

Started out with this big fat Cabezon (That's a 9 inch swim bait and a 8oz lead head for reference):

Lost 2 lings back to back after that cabby- and then hooked what I thought was a pretty good ling.

Ended up being my 2 keeper lings, one on each hook on that 9 inch swim bait.

And of course a carnage shot:

Fish n chips time!
    "Chuck Norris talks in the fourth person"

Gigundous Cabezon! Looks like a great time... I didn't get out at all this weekend.
    -Ken

Two fish swim into a concrete wall... One looks to the other and says " Dam!"

I almost didn't get out, but I ground out a marathon of studying yesterday and figured I could go be a slacker today.

Can't wait for this summer down there.

P.S. Honorable mention for a good piece of gear that's certainly worth the couple bucks:

That blue yard stick that you can see in the ling pic. Made by Mustad, has an upturned end so you just butt the fishes face against it for easy accurate measuring even in the surf. I just lay it on the floor kicked to one side when fishing and it's easy to kneel down and check the closer lings.

Also - that is a very stupid place for a gaff, but I gaff my lingcod - except when I see two faces hit the surface and dropped it in favor of the net.

Next time you go and have a seat, let me know. I'd like to catch some of those rock fish.

This time of year it's next to impossible to plan these trips out very far with the inconsistent surf/wind forecasts and how little time I get off - it's more of a look at the forecast late the night before and decide to jump over there or not last minute. In the summer it's a little easier to plan trips, but it's been too long since we've fished together!