Thread: Whats does the ocean mean to you?

Smile Whats does the ocean mean to you?

Anyone who has been around me long enough knows that I adore the ocean. While never having had any real association with the ocean and have spent most of my life standing on the beach looking out at it I still feel a sense of home when I am there. I always felt I was supposed to live at the coast for a time in my life, not sure I can ever do that. I still try to go to the beach as often as I can. As I stand there looking out I often think of the fish we all fish for and how they are out there some place swimming around, feeding, avoiding danger, but still owning the ocean like no human can really do. It has always been a place for me to reflect upon my life and it's many chapters. I may never know why I have this sentimental attachment to the ocean but I feel it every time I am there. So for now, I will just stop and take a nice photo each time I go as I have always done

If you have a nice photo of the ocean, I would like to see it and please tell me why it means something to you. Maybe that will better help me to understand my own longing to live by the sea some day

Devils River State Park
    C. Winterwolf ><,> NWFI Community Director <,><

Golden Stone Web Design

One t0 MaNy cArp's 0n tHe braIn "2017"~<)))><

One t0 MaNy cArp's 0n tHe braIn "2016"~<)))><

Fighting over the fish will only serve to divert us from our common goal ><,>

"The more I see the less I know" Anthony Bourdain

What an interesting question Matt. I love the Ocean where I live very much. I go to sleep at night and can hear the surf at times. I can smell the sweet ocean air, or listen as the wind blows a gale, and calls the salmon and steelhead to their home waters. I have a million pictures of the beach and will share a couple of them here, but to me there is no other place in the world I would rather be. I was gone from here for 15 years chasing work, and when I was in the valley I could hop over the hill and be here in a couple of hours. Still I missed it. Then when I ended up in the Desert about as far from here as I had ever lived, it was to be my path back home. Now I work from home and can throw on a pair of waders and be on the beach in 5 minutes, dig a limit of razors, and back home before my coffee gets cold. My wife walks it every day with our dog and as they say, there is no place like home. It is a place to re-charge, reflect, think about life, contimplate the future. lol.... too many wonderful reasons to love it here.

Last edited by hamfish; 05-24-2016 at 09:29 PM.
    If we would all concentrate on the important things in life, there would be a shortage of fishing poles!

I am all envy, thanks for sharing : )

Golden Stone Web Design

Blog Entries

(Newport Jetty, Summer 2012)

I've been very fortunate to have spent a summer living on the Oregon coast. Even when I lived there, I never really figured out why I love it so much.

Sure, there's lots of awesome benefits of going to the coast - all the best, delicious, fresh sea food one could ever want, some of the best sunrises and sunsets, and specifically in Oregon, some of the most beautiful country and dramatic scenery you will ever see.

(South Jetty - Newport, Summer 2012)

Maybe it's the salt in the air, the thought of being at one edge of the earth, being surrounded by lots of fish and wildlife - and being close to something in it's (mostly) natural state. Like being in the middle of a forest untouched by human hands, or in the middle of a canyon carved out by ice-age floods. There's power in being present in a place that has been, and always will be, molded by the forces of nature.

But no matter what, there's always something new to discover. Even having lived at the coast for 3 months I felt like I learned a lot about where I lived - yet there was so much more I wanted to see that I never did.

I think that's what brings me back several times a year - there's always something new to discover, no matter how many times you have gone and how many times you will go back. Sometimes even the same place you've visited a hundred times will be different.

(Lower Columbia Estuary, August 2014)

(Lower Columbia Estuary, July 2015)

No doubt, I'll always long for some salty air in the lungs.

(Otter Crest, March 2016)
    Teddy Wise - Senior Moderator, NWFI

http://therealwiseone.blogspot.com/

OSU Class of 2013 - Go Beavs
    B.S. in Fisheries and Wildlife Sciences
    Fisheries Technician with WDFW

"The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope." ~ John Buchan

Death is Certain - Fishing is Not

Thank you Teddy. Ohh how I love that smell of salty air at low tide mmm.. yes..

Golden Stone Web Design

OMG the heat is coming! *gasP* Think I will take a break and just go to the beach.

Golden Stone Web Design

Blog Entries

Definitely not ready for a heat wave yet.. I know it's somehow June, now. But i was really enjoying our casual cloudy and occasional shower weather. That's the PNW I know and love.

I have a feeling we're going to have yet another extremely hot summer and our poor salmon and steelhead are going to suffer, again. Going to be in for some rough years ahead.

In the meantime, great time to hit the beach where it's always a little cooler
    Teddy Wise - Senior Moderator, NWFI

http://therealwiseone.blogspot.com/

OSU Class of 2013 - Go Beavs
    B.S. in Fisheries and Wildlife Sciences
    Fisheries Technician with WDFW

"The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope." ~ John Buchan

Death is Certain - Fishing is Not

IM going to bring my new camera this time and try and take a few pics. the last one I posted was from my call phone. I hear its going to be 12 to 15 degrees cooler down there. I will worry about fishing again after the weekend is over

Golden Stone Web Design