Thread: Carp Fishing In Oregon

Default Carp Fishing In Oregon

Sport Fishing for carp has become popular world wide. Even though the carp is considered a non-game fish, it's popularity is such that catch & release is now encouraged by the anglers that seek them out. Pound for pound carp are one of the hardest fighting fish in our Northwest waters and readily available in many of our local lakes and rivers. The three most Common Carp in the Northwest are Common Carp, Mirror Carp, and Grass Carp. Common carp are the most plentiful and are often caught by anglers fishing the Columbia and Willamette River systems. Mirror carp also reside in these same waters but to a lessor degree and only occasionally caught. Grass carp in Oregon are used as an agricultural tool and are often sterilized so that breeding will not occur in the wild. Fishing for grass carp may not be allowed so be sure to check ODFW sport fishing regulations before fishing. The staff at NWFI also wishes to encourage sport fishing for carp. Share your sessions and photos with us here, no bow please. We are interested and listening. Get out and touch gold today!

Common Carp - Landbigfish.com

Carp - Wikipedia

Carp Fishing - YouTube

Making Carp Bait - YouTube

Common Carp - Cyprinus carpio

Mirror Carp - Cyprinus Carpio

Grass Carp - Ctenopharyngodon idella

Silver Carp leaping out of the water often caused by human activity.

Carp Boilies Search YouTube - Making Your Own Carp boilies
    Carp Bait Search YouTube - Making Your Own Carp Bait

Fishing Information

Gear for carp fishing can be both simple or complex. As popularity for the sport grows gear and methods from Europe are making their way to the USA. Most notable are the specialized carp fishing rigs, custom 3 rod pods with bite alarms, long thin powerful carp angling rods, and a growing number of custom carp baits and scents. One could however have nothing more than their steelhead rod, a can of corn, and a forked stick for a rod holder and accomplish much of the same goals. In the videos linked here "Best of the Web Carp" a more modern and professional approach is taken and the results are stunning as there is something to be said for being prepared. In many of the posts in this thread you might see more common and simple methods employed. Steelhead rods, surf rods, and custom made carp rods will all work fine for carp fishing. A line of 12lb's or more is recommended for these hard fighting fish. There are many ways to rig for carp fishing depending on the location you might be fishing. A sliding weight rig with a bait feeder type spinning reel is most common. The idea here is that the fish will take the bait and feel less resistance, allowing you to hook them. You can also loosen the drag on your reel to act as a bait feeder, then grabbing the spool to set the hook. Tighten the drag back down once the fish is hooked. Many anglers are also using a fixed weight rig now with the thinking employed that the fish will feel the weight and attempt to flee, often hooking themselves. In many places nothing more than the weight of the hook and bait are needed. The slack line method gives no resistance to fish taking the bait and is often a good choice for lakes or still water where carp are traveling and feeding close to shore. The weight of the hook and a dough style bait are usually enough to cast and reach the bottom. Your arm can act as the rod holder for this method. When carp take the bait you will feel your line become taunt. Carp are also known to feed on insects and crayfish throughout the water column, the surface included. This makes them a great target for fly anglers fishing crayfish and attractor patterns. A 7 weight or larger fly rod and a floating line are recommended when fly angling for carp. A loyal following of professional carp anglers world wide encourage you to treat and release these fish as any other well regarded trophy angling resource. In Europe anglers often pay thousands of for a single session on private ponds and can be many years wait on favored swims. We are blessed in the U.S.A. with an over abundance of carp in accessible locations for everyone to enjoy.

Trophy Carp Fishing on YouTube 30lb+ Carp

NWFI encourages you to share your sessions, photos, and experiences with us! ><,>~
    C. Winterwolf ><,> NWFI Community Director <,><

Golden Stone Web Design

One t0 MaNy cArp's 0n tHe braIn "2017"~<)))><

One t0 MaNy cArp's 0n tHe braIn "2016"~<)))><

Fighting over the fish will only serve to divert us from our common goal ><,>

"The more I see the less I know" Anthony Bourdain

I love that this thread is here now. I'm moving next to the columbia, and now I'm obsessed with targeting carp.

this maybe a year to make a trip out for carp. it's been like 20+ years

Ahh yes,, the time is coming fast.... I will prolly be trying within a few weeks. I have some good early season prospects planned out but the water should prolly warm a bit more before I take it to seriously.

Golden Stone Web Design

OMG YES! It's that time again!

I am gearing up for this right now. Going to try next week close to home. So excited! If your feeling that the water is to high for carp, now is the time to hit the flooded areas, channels to flooded area's and medium and shallow backwater area's. Time to roll out some fresh boilies. ><,>

Golden Stone Web Design

Carp fishing has finally turned on and there are plenty of larger fish around. I have some photos and when I can get in to my ftp I will start a thread and upload a few. I swear the most frustrating thing is looking at 100 large carp sitting just under the surface basking in the sun "not eating".. Normally one would sight cast bits of bread or fly's in front of them but yesterday the fish just kind of turned and looked at the baits. Turning tactics back to the bottom with sweet corn was good for a few screaming carp runs. Water has dropped out of the trees in most places local to Portland. Remember to try and set yourself up in a shady spot. Sitting in the sun all day is brutal and I will often turn away from potential spots and return on cloudy days in favor of a lessor spot with a bit of shade. Lets face it carp like HOT weather ><,>

Golden Stone Web Design