Thread: Preferred Water Temps List ><,>

Lightbulb Preferred Water Temps List ><,>

Here is a nice list of preferred temps for most of the species fished in the northwest. Click the link for full list.

http://killroys.com/chart/temps/

How does this help me>? Preferred water temp for carp is "CARP, COMMON 79-84"

Current Willamette temps in Portland are 62. This helps me to understand why they are no longer biting good like they were a few weeks ago. So for another example, say you want to fish catfish on Sauvie Island in the spring. It just opens in the spring but its been cold and the temps are still low. You go there and the bite is slow on your best baits, even near dark. One could determine that the fish are not there but the reality is that "they are there" just not biting. So then I would watch the temps and when the water warms "CATFISH, CHANNEL 70-87" I would jump on it fast. My carp fishing season appears to be close to over now. I could sit there and scratch one out now and then still but the "good" bite has faded a bit since August. You can find current water temps on the internet and often at the same tide related sites I used to find the days tide.
    C. Winterwolf ><,> NWFI Community Director <,><

Golden Stone Web Design

One t0 MaNy cArp's 0n tHe braIn "2017"~<)))><

One t0 MaNy cArp's 0n tHe braIn "2016"~<)))><

Fighting over the fish will only serve to divert us from our common goal ><,>

"The more I see the less I know" Anthony Bourdain

We used to kill them in the winter on steamed bread roll cubes:

1. Steam white bread roll for 30sec.
    2. Place it on cutting board and cover it with another flat surface. A cutting board number 2 works.
    3. Depends on bread density you want to squeeze the hot roll to 1cm
    4. Let it cool and cube it to 1cm3

The idea is the bread gets to tough enough to cast but once in the water it puffs like a marshmallow and carp can't resist.

yea nice idea! I had hope this would draw enough interest for a discussion, thanks for replying. These charts can not be the define all. In the northwest we have different conditions and we cant expect our water temps to even meet these guide lines for very long during a typical year. We have to account for that and assume that the temps are prolly a few degrees lower for our fish and also that they will still be active and feed when temps are not in their preferred range.

Golden Stone Web Design

Like chinook eating herring at 74F Columbia river in the fall.

I found that carp or more tolerable to colder temps than catfish are. The catfish stopped biting good a few weeks ago in the river but the good carp bites held out for another 3 weeks. So this suggests variance in temp tolerance once below a certain point.

Golden Stone Web Design

The poor cats have some very thin skin.. they are probably freezing... lol
    -Ken

Two fish swim into a concrete wall... One looks to the other and says " Dam!"

yea makes me wonder how that effects mirror carp...

Golden Stone Web Design

Good point. I'm guessing they wrap themselves up in an algae blanket for the winter....
    -Ken

Two fish swim into a concrete wall... One looks to the other and says " Dam!"