Thread: Craigslist BS 16' x 54" Willies

Default Craigslist BS 16' x 54" Willies

I've been window shopping for a larger DB. I'd been watching 2 Willie 16' x 54" boats with fairly similar options. Finally decided to inquire about them, one was sold, missed calls/texts on the other one. Yesterday at 3:30 I get a text reply that we can meet to see the boat in OC. Wanting to see the boat in daylight I get in the car to hot it lap down the road, traffic was terrible and got there at 5:30 in the dark. Boat had pretty much what I wanted, like most used boats it had some minor issues, plus 2 bow dents. After haggling for awhile I agreed to the asking price of $4500, shook hands and made arrangements to get the boat the following day. Didn't have time to get to the bank in the effort to see the boat in the daylight. On the way way home I get a text that he now wants $5000 because of the used boats prices listed on Willies website. I told him that I'm a little older than you and a handshake on a deal means something, it's your reputation not mine. Boat is now listed for $5500. Maybe it's just sour grapes but it just doesn't sit well with me. Back to window shopping. Rant over.

Private sales don't reflect the same markups as a boat dealer or used car sales lot (pretty similar), heck anyone that's used KBB or similar to appraise an item should be aware of that - let alone someone doing sales or buying on CL.

Someone a whole lot smarter than me said "Asking price is often not the getting price" and I think that may be a lesson this person hasn't come across yet.

Sorry you wasted some time.
    "Chuck Norris talks in the fourth person"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    I've been window shopping for a larger DB. I'd been watching 2 Willie 16' x 54" boats with fairly similar options. Finally decided to inquire about them, one was sold, missed calls/texts on the other one. Yesterday at 3:30 I get a text reply that we can meet to see the boat in OC. Wanting to see the boat in daylight I get in the car to hot it lap down the road, traffic was terrible and got there at 5:30 in the dark. Boat had pretty much what I wanted, like most used boats it had some minor issues, plus 2 bow dents. After haggling for awhile I agreed to the asking price of $4500, shook hands and made arrangements to get the boat the following day. Didn't have time to get to the bank in the effort to see the boat in the daylight. On the way way home I get a text that he now wants $5000 because of the used boats prices listed on Willies website. I told him that I'm a little older than you and a handshake on a deal means something, it's your reputation not mine. Boat is now listed for $5500. Maybe it's just sour grapes but it just doesn't sit well with me. Back to window shopping. Rant over.
    Man, that sucks.

Par for the course on CL though - unfortunately. Having done a ton of wheeling and dealing on FB myself, I always take things with a grain of salt, and keep my expectations at a minimum. Always double and triple check things. Not much you could've done differently there. I've been pretty lucky with most of my transactions on there, but you do find a few bad apples.
    Teddy Wise - Senior Moderator, NWFI

http://therealwiseone.blogspot.com/

OSU Class of 2013 - Go Beavs
    B.S. in Fisheries and Wildlife Sciences
    Fisheries Technician with WDFW

"The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope." ~ John Buchan

Death is Certain - Fishing is Not

Thanks Teddy, There are all kinds out there. 1st time I've had the bait and switch.

Where do you find deals on FB, is there a local page or something?

there is a group on facebook called "Northwest Outdoor Classified" i think, or something like that... can post a "looking for" as well I think...
    C. Winterwolf ><,> NWFI Community Director <,><

Golden Stone Web Design

One t0 MaNy cArp's 0n tHe braIn "2017"~<)))><

One t0 MaNy cArp's 0n tHe braIn "2016"~<)))><

Fighting over the fish will only serve to divert us from our common goal ><,>

"The more I see the less I know" Anthony Bourdain

Quote Originally Posted by Osmosis View Post
    Private sales don't reflect the same markups as a boat dealer or used car sales lot (pretty similar), heck anyone that's used KBB or similar to appraise an item should be aware of that - let alone someone doing sales or buying on CL.

Someone a whole lot smarter than me said "Asking price is often not the getting price" and I think that may be a lesson this person hasn't come across yet.
    You're right Alan, I used almost the same word for word explanation. I hope he has a hard time selling it.

Thanks for info Matt. I'll check it out.

Blog Entries

Yep, there's tons!

Pacific Outdoor Northwest Classifieds

NW Salmon Steelhead Gear buy/sell/trade

PNW Fishing Hunting Swap Meet

Might be a few more, but those are the ones I follow...
    Teddy Wise - Senior Moderator, NWFI

http://therealwiseone.blogspot.com/

OSU Class of 2013 - Go Beavs
    B.S. in Fisheries and Wildlife Sciences
    Fisheries Technician with WDFW

"The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope." ~ John Buchan

Death is Certain - Fishing is Not

Quote Originally Posted by Twise95 View Post
    Yep, there's tons!

Pacific Outdoor Northwest Classifieds

NW Salmon Steelhead Gear buy/sell/trade

PNW Fishing Hunting Swap Meet

Might be a few more, but those are the ones I follow...
    Thanks Teddy

Well I picked up a 17' x 54" Willies setup how I wanted it. Can't wait for this ice to clear out!

Very nice!
    Hope you find fish on the maiden voyage.
    "Chuck Norris talks in the fourth person"