Thread: 30 second **dirt cheap** shrimp flies!?

Default 30 second **dirt cheap** shrimp flies!?

Yep! Super effective and super cheap - takes care of both of my favorite categories.

Here's what you need:

Dollar store "Pom Poms", Dollar store pipe cleaners (Chenille with wire), Scissors, hooks and a vise. Fly vise or shop vise is fine. Probably don't even need a vise really.

I use the Mustad double hooks, model: 7825-BR in 5/0 and 4/0. These can be had for $15 to $17 per box of 100 retail. Could certainly use any of your favorite single hooks given they have a reasonably large eye.

The process is simple. Slide a piece of "chenille with wire" between the two shanks of the double hook and make a wrap or two. Then cut a roughly 4 inch (Trust me, rockfish don't care about precision measurements) section of the "pom pom" mylar in whatever colors you like. I use lots of red and pink. The hardest part is now, when you have to thread that small bunch of mylar through the eye you have created between the hook wire and the chenille. Once through and somewhat centered, make several more wraps with the wire chenille over the top of the whole mess and cut off with scissors.

I timed myself on a few, and 30 seconds was normal!
    Crank out dozens of these and you'll have full freezers!

They hold up for several fish (2 to 10+ depending on luck), and given their cost and simplicity that's plenty for me to justify. You could devise more permanent fixture of materials with thread and head cement etcetera, but that defeats some of the utility for me. I can power through enough to last a few months of fishing through an episode or two of whatever Tyra throws on Netflix or Hulu.

It's hard to calculate the specific total cost given the material usage rate being slightly variable, however, you'd have to use A WHOLE LOT of the chenille and tinsel to make them each cost a quarter.

I'll get around to posting the other version of shrimp fly that I make. Similar economy, slightly more work, slightly more traditional (Danielson style) product.
    "Chuck Norris talks in the fourth person"

Seems pretty simple... Even for me Thank You for the tutorial Alan. I'll have to give it a try..

"I can power through enough to last a few months of fishing through an episode or two of whatever Tyra throws on Netflix or Hulu."

lol Awesome! I twist spinners when watching excellent programming of Bon's choice...
    Last edited by spactrukn; 03-16-2017 at 08:44 PM.
    -Ken

Two fish swim into a concrete wall... One looks to the other and says " Dam!"

Nice tutorial! are you using those for steelhead or rockfish?
    C. Winterwolf ><,> NWFI Community Director <,><

Golden Stone Web Design

One t0 MaNy cArp's 0n tHe braIn "2017"~<)))><

One t0 MaNy cArp's 0n tHe braIn "2016"~<)))><

Fighting over the fish will only serve to divert us from our common goal ><,>

"The more I see the less I know" Anthony Bourdain

Rockfish, but I've had a bunch of coho jump onto shrimp flies out in the ocean so wouldn't surprise me if you could modify this same material for the river setting..
    "Chuck Norris talks in the fourth person"