Thread: Willy Bass

Smile Willy Bass

The weather week was to wet to be sitting on a bucket waiting for carp to bite and I wanted to try something different for a day and be more active about my fishing. I have been learning the Willamette for carp fishing in the last few years enough that I also now see the features in the river that are most attractive to other fishes such as feeding funnels, underwater rocky points, and channels. Most of which are underwater right now. I felt I finally had an edge on how the Willamette bass ecosystem just might work. I fished public points up and down the Willamette With only grubs and spinnerbaits. I was fortunate to find 4 species of fish in one small tree shrouded backwater. Chartreuse crappie grubs produce both largemouth and smallmouth bass up to 10 inches here. Small bluegill and crappie were also fairly easy to catch. It was really a lot of work fishing in the trees but there was a lot of cooperative fish hiding in them that made the effort worth the challenge, at least until I ran out of crappie grubs......

Later in the day I moved out to the main river hoping to find some larger bass. Took a little searching but at just the right moment of wind and tide one of the funnels I had my eye on decided to throw me a bone. Like a switch the bite just turned on and for 30 minutes almost every cast I took with a 3 inch Kalin's grub produce at least a strike. While this seem like it might have been fast action, it wasn't. I was working the grub very slowly across the bottom. The bites were soft latch on type but they were there and they were feeding. Eight chunky 12 inch smallmouth later everything died.... The wind, the tide, and the bite... Then came the rains..

The End..
    C. Winterwolf ><,> NWFI Community Director <,><

Golden Stone Web Design

One t0 MaNy cArp's 0n tHe braIn "2017"~<)))><

One t0 MaNy cArp's 0n tHe braIn "2016"~<)))><

Fighting over the fish will only serve to divert us from our common goal ><,>

"The more I see the less I know" Anthony Bourdain

Those guys are a blast on appropriate gear! Neat you did so well (assuming) below the falls, I usually only do well for that range of species above the falls in the sloughs and side canals
    "Chuck Norris talks in the fourth person"

Yes, below the falls. We still have a lot of water down here so all of the tiny backwater areas are flooded.
    C. Winterwolf ><,> NWFI Community Director <,><

Golden Stone Web Design

One t0 MaNy cArp's 0n tHe braIn "2017"~<)))><

One t0 MaNy cArp's 0n tHe braIn "2016"~<)))><

Fighting over the fish will only serve to divert us from our common goal ><,>

"The more I see the less I know" Anthony Bourdain