Thread: Great Video by WDFW on Shore Fishing Walleye

Lightbulb Great Video by WDFW on Shore Fishing Walleye

Great short video from WDFW. I have been wondering how one might go about this. Oregon Walleye must also spawn someplace.

C. Winterwolf ><,> NWFI Community Director <,><

Golden Stone Web Design

One t0 MaNy cArp's 0n tHe braIn "2017"~<)))><

One t0 MaNy cArp's 0n tHe braIn "2016"~<)))><

Fighting over the fish will only serve to divert us from our common goal ><,>

"The more I see the less I know" Anthony Bourdain

Nothing that I've heard of like this around here, but looks like a neat fishery to me.
    "Chuck Norris talks in the fourth person"

I am really surprised that people don't catch a lot of them in the Gilbert River in spring..... They must move someplace to spawn
    C. Winterwolf ><,> NWFI Community Director <,><

Golden Stone Web Design

One t0 MaNy cArp's 0n tHe braIn "2017"~<)))><

One t0 MaNy cArp's 0n tHe braIn "2016"~<)))><

Fighting over the fish will only serve to divert us from our common goal ><,>

"The more I see the less I know" Anthony Bourdain

Blog Entries

Super cool video! Watched it a few months back. It must be really awesome having a bank walleye fishery like that up in Moses Lake.

Walleye are often hard to find off the bank around here (believe me i've tried!) mainly because of 2 things: 1) finding the structure they like to hang around and 2) getting the right presentation. Our local river walleye like hanging around rock piles or other bits of hard structure that have significant current but lots of breaks, where they will sit and ambush prey on their way downstream. Actually very similar to pikeminnow because they are also ambush predators, and you often find walleye when you are fishing for pikeminnow and vice versa. In addition, just because you know one spot that might have walleye on a given day doesn't mean that they will be there every single day, so being mobile and being able to try multiple spots in a day is critical to having success. They are pretty lazy fish unless in pursuit of a relatively slow prey item, so presentation is also key. Dragging worm harnesses as slow as one can troll directly on the bottom is the most popular method, as is vertical jigging over said structure mentioned earlier. Those two techniques are virtually impossible to do off the bank, which is why you don't hear of many people catching walleye around here. But I know if one were to spend a lot of time in the gorge (mainly below the dams) they would likely find spots to catch 'em off the bank.
    Teddy Wise - Senior Moderator, NWFI

http://therealwiseone.blogspot.com/

OSU Class of 2013 - Go Beavs
    B.S. in Fisheries and Wildlife Sciences
    Fisheries Technician with WDFW

"The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope." ~ John Buchan

Death is Certain - Fishing is Not