Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: One t0o MaNy cArp's 0n tHe braIn "2017" ~<)))><

Thank you! Glad you liked it! ><,>
    C. Winterwolf ><,> NWFI Community Director <,><

Golden Stone Web Design

One t0 MaNy cArp's 0n tHe braIn "2017"~<)))><

One t0 MaNy cArp's 0n tHe braIn "2016"~<)))><

Fighting over the fish will only serve to divert us from our common goal ><,>

"The more I see the less I know" Anthony Bourdain

The day before it started raining was cloudy and slightly wet but I knew this week would be the season killer so as a last ditch effort on a bucket list fish I ran out to the Tualatin River "see post" above the dam. I had found a few spots that were fishable earlier in the season but people swimming and boating and other normal summertime activities kept me from actually fishing it. The cold cloudy weather had finally cleared the beaches and fishing was a go. Surprisingly the fish sampled very large and abundant. They were also strong and clean, almost free of marks and scars you see a lot on the Willamtte carp. Some of the fish here were over 10lbs. and I managed to quick release a much larger fish that bent out a hook when it decided to run all the way back to Oregon City. Sometimes in carp fishing there are fish that beat you up. They are strong and brutal on your gear and once they reach adult size they are simply hard to stop by any means. I use a 3lb curve rod and 25# braid, heavy glow bug hooks and still I can not always stop them. Fish in Columbia Slough this year showed me the same thing several times. You catch 20 average carp and it becomes routine but when you finaly hook that big one you will know it and your heart will pound while its screaming line off the real and you realize you are loosing him fast..... and better do something! I can not say for certain if I am done just yet this year. Weather will decide that for me but if I get the chance I will be back on the Tualatin looking for that big one that kicked my @$$! ><,>

Set from Tualatin Session, see post ><,>

Golden Stone Web Design

that is so awesome!

There is a day at the end of each carp season where the fish have finally said "goodbye" for the season. Its never just a cold stop, its a gradual descent of action until there is just nothing left. On my last day out there was only a shot flurry of pike minnow and large suckers during the mid afternoon sunshine. The last carp I caught was almost 2 weeks ago so I am now turning my attention to fall salmon. Before that all happened though and during the last few good days the fish were active I managed to find a few fish that were still in fall bulk up feeding mode. I noticed that the way the bites took place also changed and tactics to get the hook in them as well. The bites went from screaming bite alarms to drop backs and trout setting the hook at the slightest twitch, which actually did work for the last few days.

Golden Stone Web Design

Some of the carp that fell in the last weeks were fairly nice and fat fish but the highlight however was enjoying the chilled fall scenery and cloudscapes while sitting on ass waiting for a bite. My seasons closing photo was a stunner and sitting there watching the end of the season passing allowed me to reflect on this years progress as an angler. Having been fishing for carp most of my life since childhood, I can honestly say this was the absolute best season I have had here in Oregon. I know though that the potential for an even way better season now presents itself for next year. For example much of my season was cut short by the high and cold water that lasted until June. Maybe we wont have that problem next year. See the funny thing about carp is that a dry year wont hurt them. This year clearly favored the salmon in terms of water conditions. I also managed to dial in a few big fish areas I had been working on for a few years now. I have dialed in my methods for how I can always find them where present. I am only left to contend with water temps, access, and mid summer boating crowds. There were some big fish landed this year but still wanting to flat out break that 20lb. mark. Maybe next year will be the year that can happen but if nothing else I know that good numbers of larger fish will be on tap for me. That said I can with confidence exit here holding high hopes and expectations for the next year ><,>

The End ><,>

Golden Stone Web Design