I like to imagine we all have those new places we would like to go and catch fish but never actually follow through with. Often times they can be as simple as a roadside pond you pass on your way to someplace else or as complex as an exotic location in a far away place. For me a lot of the places I am interested in revolve around carp and are local to my home. I simply love the smell of a slough or river at low tide and sound of rolling carp in the evening interrupted by only the sound of a screaming bite alarm. Earlier in the year during the heat wave I had scouted an area of the Tualatin River after hearing rumors of nice carp being present. I had driven over it many times and often thought to myself that there must be something in there but I never actually put in the effort to find out. Partly due to a lack of confidence on my part in carp fishing prior to the last few years. In regards to confidence much has changed for me since I took a serious interest in how carp are fished for in other parts of the world. At the time I did this scouting the temperatures were very warm and river use was at an all time high so I opted to wait for a cold and rainy day near the end of the season. One such day presented itself to me recently and I jumped on it with everything I knew from the last few years of fishing basic U.K. methods. It took less than 10 minutes to get in to the first fish, which is always a rewarding feeling when you are fishing in a new location. I would not have ever imagined that this little river would be such a great carp factory and even with the cooled air and water temps they seemed very willing to bite. Some of the fish during this session were over 10lbs and as I mentioned in my 2017 bulk carp thread, one particular fish pretty much destroyed me and bent out the hook after running 50 some yards down river on a taunt drag setting. This was a bucket list fishery that I have had my eye on all year and it felt amazing to have my hopes and wishes come true in just one session. I managed to land a half dozen nice carp before the cold and wind blew me off the water. I can't wait to return to this river again next year in the spring now that I have been successful. Having confidence in what your doing is a big thing when it comes to sampling new locations. If you know that your methods will work all you need to do is locate the fish. I like that in carp fishing I can set reasonable goals for myself and most often accomplish them. Sometimes that might take a few tries but being confident in what your doing is what will keep you coming back until you accomplish your goals. My friends will attest that Sauvies Island has perplexed me all season as I am not able to pattern the fish movements and its a huge still water area where rafts of carp just float around at their leisure. If I tried long enough I could certainly catch one by accident but that is not what I am looking for in my results. I know though that the way I am fishing now works every other place I take it, that is what keeps me trying. This year has given me some great rewards in catching some amazing fish in locations I have always struggled to fish in the past. Once you figure out how to catch them, the where you catch them might not seem as daunting anymore as more and more avenues will open up for you. ><,>