Thread: Coho limit on the lower Kenai!

1. Default Coho limit on the lower Kenai!

Can this be true??? The Lower Kenai is still producing limit catches for coho... While the fishing wasn't necessarily "hot", it was definitely consistent, and absolutely fantastic.

We launched at 8:30 this morning and put the last rod away at 3:00 pm. The water conditions were excellent with 45 degree water temp and exceptional visibility. The amazing thing was fishing this good but practically having the river to ourselves! We shared our section of the river (all that we could see) with 3 other boats, none within 1/4 mile.

We fished three rods, two with k-15's/sardine and one with eggs. The k-15's outfished the eggs 8-1. The color of the kwikie didn't matter as much as the action. I fished four different colors and produced on each (even 1 rookie!).

The weather turned amazing by the end of the day and the cooler was full. This was an excellent way to end the season.

send some of those beasts this way
    fishing is a family thing and crabbing and camping and...

Man those ho's are simply huge! Nice fish
    C. Winterwolf ><,> NWFI Community Director <,><

Golden Stone Web Design

One t0 MaNy cArp's 0n tHe braIn "2017"~<)))><

One t0 MaNy cArp's 0n tHe braIn "2016"~<)))><

Fighting over the fish will only serve to divert us from our common goal ><,>

"The more I see the less I know" Anthony Bourdain

Awesome! Having that river almost to yourself must be crazy.

How far from the Salt are you fishing? Those fish are Chromers.

Doesn't look like they are still dropping scales?

6. Default not far

At this hole we are about 14 miles from the mouth. However we will still get chromers up close to 50 miles.

Down this low, the scales are very, very loose... I feel that we must catch and cook in that case. Up river, the scales get hardened and the fish are way more resiliant, so catch and release is feasable.

So, we are very close to the salt.

RollinontheRvr Guest

Thumbs up Nice fish...

Those are some really nice Coho, I am jealous. The only Coho I got this year were nates and that was only two fish. I have got to get up there and fish with you someday.

If you don't mind me asking, what kind of rods are you using to back troll your kwik fish with? I am back trolling from a drift so it may be a bit different for me than what you are using.

I have been looking at Ugly Stik's 6 - 12 lb rods for pulling K-13/14/15/16 for springers and fallies down here. I am hoping to get an action like the Lamiglas Classic Glass but without the high expense. Any thoughts you might have would be appreciated.

8. Default Loomis

Quote Originally Posted by RollinontheRvr View Post
    Those are some really nice Coho, I am jealous. The only Coho I got this year were nates and that was only two fish. I have got to get up there and fish with you someday.

If you don't mind me asking, what kind of rods are you using to back troll your kwik fish with? I am back trolling from a drift so it may be a bit different for me than what you are using.

I have been looking at Ugly Stik's 6 - 12 lb rods for pulling K-13/14/15/16 for springers and fallies down here. I am hoping to get an action like the Lamiglas Classic Glass but without the high expense. Any thoughts you might have would be appreciated.
    All we get here on the Kenai are nates; no hatchery support for anything... It was a great and unexpected day for the end of September.

I am using the G-Loomis STR 1024 8-12# with Ambassadeur 6500C and 15# mono. I think that this particular rod is excellent for the smaller plugs. Loomis calls this a fast action rod, but I consider it way slower than the Lami's (I fish the Kenai Special). The soft rod gives way more sensitivity but more importantly for the plugs, it slows the action of the plug greatly over the stiffer Lamis (and Ugly Sticks). It is also practically bomb proof. Like the Ugly Stick, the rod can withstand a tip to butt bend... I have exploded any Lami that was loaded that much! Finally, the rod has enough beef to land 50#+ chinooks (from a boat). Certainly the price tag may cause some sticker shock, but that will last only until you get that first bait in the water and watch the rod double over on strike. Then you will realize the value of the investment.

Hope that helps....

P.S. I know that Lamiglas is a sponsor, but the Lami's just didn't work for my application. Sorry....

Dave, I went and checked out the new Dick's sporting goods in Gresham today. They have a bunch of ugly sticks....Got a few Lami classic glass rods too... The prices in general seem to be reasonable. One of the guys from the Joes fishing department is there as well.
    -Ken

Two fish swim into a concrete wall... One looks to the other and says " Dam!"

RollinontheRvr Guest

Default Thanks...

For the tips guys, I appreciate it a bunch.